Just Joined

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the site.
Where are you from and what do you keep?

Hello! I just joined as well! Whoop!!!

I was wondering (And do not want to start a new thread incase this is a common question and all I get in response are comments pointing me to previous threads...) about my python. He is a childrens carpet python, by the name of Mercury.

Mercury was eight years old when I was given him, which was two, almost three years ago now. He was overweight when he came to me and I cut him down to being fed once a week, to once every two weeks (although if he got snarky I would feed him) and eventually he dropped all the weight and now he is an energetic young man again (rather than... a log with a head).

Just curious how much I should be feeding him? I suppose a thread on the subject of new joiners is as good a place as any? I currently feed him white (he wont touch coloured, odd boy) full grown mice, once every two to three weeks. I also feed him in his tank, he had never bitten me unless I have had the smell of mice on my hands, or been playing with mice (We have pet mice in our home, I stress, not for farming). How much should I be feeding him? and should I change where I feed him (after reading posts about feeding in different containers etc, I began to wonder)?

In summary.. how much should I feed him? and what sort of rodent?!

Welcome

i would keep mercurys feeding patern as is, i was feeding my coastal a large rat about every 2 weeks and i no people that will offer the same at least once a week if he has lost the extra weight and moving about happily enough i wouldnt worry though dont be afraid to let him go more then a few weeks with out food it happens in the wild alot, and a break every now and then cant hurt though i no people will say otherwise

as for the rodent he seems to like little white mice go with it?

Welcome both of you

I'd say around the 3 week mark should be fine, I only feed my larger pythons every 4-6 week's

lizards are my thing

Hi- Its great to hear from more reptile loves- Currently I have a adult male northern blue tongue- he's a placid big fella-meaduring in at up to 21 inches. Also have 2 central bearded dragons just maturing- although the male seems to be doubling in size to the female.Also 2 pink tounge skinks-juvinile - the male is a cranky little bugger and has never forgiven me for the plane ride. Any hints on extra favourite foods would be great- the northern just had a case of spider mite and i don't know where they came from.

Welcome if you have any questions i'm sure there will alway be someone happy to answer them. :)

My juvies got fed 3-5 wks apart during winter. Will up it slightly now its getting warmer.

Welcome newbies! :)

Welcome both of you

I'd say around the 3 week mark should be fine, I only feed my larger pythons every 4-6 week's

Im a newbie too!

Hi all, wow what an awesome forum! Cant wait to share some info and pick your brains too!!!
I am a licensed breeder in WA and have just started my education program for schools. Kids are our future and it is awesome seeing the wonder on their faces when they meet my scaly mates.:D

Thank you very much for your responses! I think Mercury knows something is up, because he is roving around his tank looking at me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back