Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeblake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have had a female stimmo for 2 years now i got her when she was a hatchie and just recently got a woma hatchling and i have been very busy setting up a new enclosure for my stimmo i thought id build my own so i had a crack.

I thought i would just have a sticky beak and see what everyone else does with their python set ups and enclosures maybe pick up some good tips along the way.

Im in West Aus so pritty stoked about the new additions to the licenses especially dendrelaphis punctulata it might be awhile before i get one but its definitely on the list such a beautiful snake.

Thanks for your help guys n girls

Keith

Welcome Keith, thanks for joining mate.

Hi Keith [MENTION=42327]Joeblake[/MENTION]. I'm pretty new here myself. :) So far I've found some great info on Python care. We are considering getting a snake in about a years time - and it will possibly be a stimmie!

Would love to see some pics of your snakes and of your enclosures too.

Welcome Keith, thanks for joining mate.

Thanks stuart

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome Keith! Enjoy your stay

Thank you bredlifreak

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Keith [MENTION=42327]Joeblake[/MENTION]. I'm pretty new here myself. :) So far I've found some great info on Python care. We are considering getting a snake in about a years time - and it will possibly be a stimmie!

Would love to see some pics of your snakes and of your enclosures too.

Hi Alichamp

I will definitely post some pics you have to excuse me for being slow im using a samsung s6 while im on shift change and stuck in a donga atm tonight i can use my computer at work.
Stimmos are very easy to keep your going to love it i know i love mine shes so placid and gentle shes all about hanging out and chilling on me while i watch TV. The Woma on the other hand is a learning curve for me haha dont play with a stimmo then try to play with a woma its going to get ugly

- - - Updated - - -

This is nearly finished
20160128_191641.jpg

Almost finished still fluffing around here and there
20160328_104759.jpg

Here is my stimmo in her old enclosure so beautiful not sure why its on its side but you get the idea maybe admin can turn it ☺
20160202_180655.jpg

And last but not least little woma so awesome love this girl
20160308_164912.jpg

20160308_164858.jpg

Lovely Woma mate, I'm pretty new to the hobby and my first snake i got in December was a little m/o Woma hatchling and by far a good introduction to pythons for me as she has been a dream to keep!
image.jpg

Lovely Woma mate, I'm pretty new to the hobby and my first snake i got in December was a little m/o Woma hatchling and by far a good introduction to pythons for me as she has been a dream to keep!
View attachment 317779

Hi Ghillies yes thank you bud. Yours looks very nice aswell what locality ? absolutely love my two pythons little woma is very active and hopefully next year i can breed my stimmo. Hopefully next week i pick up a nice BHP and il be happy untill i can get a really bright CTS. Well does it ever really stop lol id like to build two more enclosures as i think i can do a better design im not too keen on the artificial look I'd rather it more like there locale habitat or atleast more natural feeling to it

She is from a line of Reduced pattern RHDs so as she gets older her typical Woma pattern should break up and fade. Look at picking up a male from the same clutch that the guy has left.

A pair of Axanthic BHPs are high on my list!

currently building a 6 shelf grow out rack to keep my growing pythons in but as soon as they start getting to big I'll be building a stack of 4x2x2 for the Woma's and Water Python.

Last edited:
wow nice photos's yeah i was going to get an Stimson as my club there are good snakes to start off with lol, but i end up getting an children's python (ghost) hatching his pretty cool, but he does not get out his cave that much tho... i think his not used to me yet; my partner hold him at the pet shop when we got him... i can not wait to hold him myself lol

Thanks stuart

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you bredlifreak

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Alichamp

I will definitely post some pics you have to excuse me for being slow im using a samsung s6 while im on shift change and stuck in a donga atm tonight i can use my computer at work.
Stimmos are very easy to keep your going to love it i know i love mine shes so placid and gentle shes all about hanging out and chilling on me while i watch TV. The Woma on the other hand is a learning curve for me haha dont play with a stimmo then try to play with a woma its going to get ugly

- - - Updated - - -

This is nearly finished
View attachment 317773

Almost finished still fluffing around here and there
View attachment 317774

Here is my stimmo in her old enclosure so beautiful not sure why its on its side but you get the idea maybe admin can turn it ☺
View attachment 317775

And last but not least little woma so awesome love this girlView attachment 317776

View attachment 317777

What nice tidy setups, he'll (?) be a lucky snake.

Only changes I'd suggest would be ditch the analog (round stick on thermometer) , these things are terribly inaccurate and unreliable , I'd recommend you get hold of a few ebay digital thermometers and a laser thermometer (for measuring the surface temperatures of key spots (basking spot, cool zone etc).

The digital thermometers I like look like the one marketed by Vet-n-Direct (Serenity Aquatic/Anarchy Reptile Digital Thermometer), can pick these up on ebay for under $4 and they are quite accurate and run a long time between battery changes.
The laser thermometer I use looks like the model marketed by Avid-Reptile (Infrared Temperature Gun) and are quite cheap and so long as you use them properly , taking into account the size of the measuring spot ,are very good , you can pick these up for under $20 online.

Last edited:
I just use well-fastened alcohol thermometers. Best bang for buck in terms of accuracy. Cheaper electronic probes/guns are not actually that accurate, with an average error of a couple of degrees either way. Depends how spot-on you require your temperature monitoring.

What nice tidy setups, he'll (?) be a lucky snake.

Only changes I'd suggest would be ditch the analog (round stick on thermometer) , these things are terribly inaccurate and unreliable , I'd recommend you get hold of a few ebay digital thermometers and a laser thermometer (for measuring the surface temperatures of key spots (basking spot, cool zone etc).

The digital thermometers I like look like the one marketed by Vet-n-Direct (Serenity Aquatic/Anarchy Reptile Digital Thermometer), can pick these up on ebay for under $4 and they are quite accurate and run a long time between battery changes.
The laser thermometer I use looks like the model marketed by Avid-Reptile (Infrared Temperature Gun) and are quite cheap and so long as you use them properly , taking into account the size of the measuring spot ,are very good , you can pick these up for under $20 online.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kingofnobbys

I agree i have two digital temp guages in that particular enclosure one over a heat mat on the substrate and the other on the cold side i have had them 2 years without a battrey change they work well.
the enclosure is run by a day,night lighting and thermostat controller aswell which reads a couple of degrees diffrent to the other guages i have so there is some diffrence between them.

the black enclosure has just a light on a timer and the heat tile is set to 32c do you guys think its a good idea to have a heat light for a basking spot aswell ?

i would like to get everything sorted out as i plan to try breed my stimmo next year.

I just use well-fastened alcohol thermometers. Best bang for buck in terms of accuracy. Cheaper electronic probes/guns are not actually that accurate, with an average error of a couple of degrees either way. Depends how spot-on you require your temperature monitoring.
Yep, because the majority of users haven't a clue how they work.
And wind up measuring the surface from too far back , getting a large part of the measuring "spot" off the surface they want to measure, and end up with a temperature that is an average of the surface and the background surface (which may well be several degrees cooler).
My laser thermometer has an adjustment for the emissivity of the surface and I make sure I aways have the spot smaller than the surface I want to measure.

Is easy to check the accuracy of these, all you need is in the kitchen.

Give or take 1oC is plenty close enough for the job IMO. Can get better but why bother.

Last edited:
Meet the crew a few cool additions to the family

Tri stimmo
20160515_074715.jpg

Pin stripe stimmo
20160515_074830.jpg

Woma yearling looks like abit of a freaky one
20160515_081210.jpg

2 yo BHP
20160515_200001.jpg

4yo BHP
20160515_081511.jpg

They are just settling in for now its very hard to get a nice pic they are abit flighty

Welcome Keith. And thanks, now I have to get a woma....

Welcome Keith. And thanks, now I have to get a woma....

Womas are awesome i had my heart set on BHPs but ive been enjoying the womas alot more watching them burrow is so cool now i just need to do get to know them abit more

Resized_20160518_134011.jpg

I frequently change things around in my Womas environments cause they have OCD it's great to watch them 'move the furniture' and put things just the way they like it. So funny!

I frequently change things around in my Womas environments cause they have OCD it's great to watch them 'move the furniture' and put things just the way they like it. So funny!

Lol yeah they are full on i did the same and she wasnt happy so i changed it back and she settled right down
Awesome pythons ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back