Juvenile Lace Monitor Sexing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adi.sztraka

Reaction score
Hi guys

Recently got my first Lacey. He's around a month old and owner wasn't able to confirm sex. I'm hoping for male but any way to tell for sure at this point?

Here's a couple pics if it helps. Cheers.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2864.JPG
    DSCN2864.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCN2866.jpg
    DSCN2866.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 559
Really? My friend bought him completely convinced he was a Lacy but recently decided he'd rather my Carpet Python (so we did a trade). If he isn't a Lacy I can only guess he must be a Spotted Tree Monitor - is that right? Argh! seems I got duped.

Recently got my first Lacey. He's around a month old and owner wasn't able to confirm sex.

This is what's wrong with the hobby.... people just don't research. How you can obtain a permit & buy a monitor thinking its a lacie whilst obviously knowing so little about them (even down to what they look like) is beyond me. Try a beardie mate.

I'm hoping for male but any way to tell for sure at this point?

For future reference you can't accurately sex them until they're at least a year old, sometimes older (when their head shape changes & the male develops hemipenal bulges, also different behaviour).... any earlier is a guess with a 50% chance of getting it right.

From the second photo, it looks like it could be a sand monitor (varanus gouldii). Some more photos of its back will help ID it. It is hard to tell from the photo. Is the tail a creamy colour at the tip?

Last edited:
Looks nothing like a sand monitor, and looks nothing like a lace monitor. It's extremely easy to ID just from those photos - it's an adult of the rainforest form of the Spotted Tree Monitor (Varanus scalaris 'kuranda').
Surely this is a **** take anyway, or are people just getting dumber..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back