Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beney_boy

Reaction score
i pick up my 3 month old sandie 2moro. i wanted to show you guys the setup i have put together and get some advice on it. the log and rocks are all on the base of the enclosure and are surrounded by a 50/50 mis of red sand and brickies sand. the basking spot has a 50W downlight about 20cm from the rock and should get between 50 and 60C. i also threw in a UV tube for extra viewing light. any help and advice would be much appreciated.
cheers, Ben.
04122009138.jpg

i pick up my 3 month old sandie 2moro. i wanted to show you guys the setup i have put together and get some advice on it. the log and rocks are all on the base of the enclosure and are surrounded by a 50/50 mis of red sand and brickies sand. the basking spot has a 50W downlight about 20cm from the rock and should get between 50 and 60C. i also threw in a UV tube for extra viewing light. any help and advice would be much appreciated.
cheers, Ben.
View attachment 109579

Hi Ben,
Your new sand Monitor enclosure looks good, but l don't think you should have any heavy objects in it, cause there is a risk that your juvenile Sand Monitor will dig underneath them, then they will cave in on top of your Juvenile Sand Monitor that could lead to death.

Your heat lamps is to small to cover a wide spot for basking under, you should instead be using a R80 clear reflector light globe, as you see here in this photo l have post on here, you can buy these for as little as $2-80each and you should use either 60 or 80watt no-less, so you know it will get the warmth it needs to survive in its enclosure.

Make sure the sand is hard all over, so when it digs into the sand it wont cave in on its burrows, and every now and again make sure to wet the sand near its burrow so when it digs there, it will soak up some moisture around its toes and claws, so it can shed its skin properly.

Your new encloosure also looks a bit on the dark side aswell.:)

Last edited:
awesome pix bluey!

id love to get a monitor, would be so hard to decide what type though!!

awesome pix bluey!

id love to get a monitor, would be so hard to decide what type though!!
Yes they sure are awesome pictures of my Sand Monitor set-up Thank you.

The sad news is l no-longer have any Desert Sand Monitor's-Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus, l decided in August 4 months ago, to depart with them all, and l sincerely do miss not having them here at my home, they sure do have alot of character in them.

l agree with you it can be very hard on deciding what Monitor to get for the first time, if l was you l would start of with a Ridge-Tailed Monitor, they to have alot of good character in them, and a very tame and easy to handle just like Blue-Tongues-Stumpy-Tails-Bearded Dragons all are.

Sand Monitors need alot of space to move around, and can be unpredictable, and bite you when you least expect it, they can be very shy by nature and don't like being handle or touched that often.:p

bluey66, he wont be in ther for long, just while i build his new enclosure over the christmas break. i love the look of your enclosure. i have some of those globes left from my old beardie enclosure. i think i bought a box of 12 for something like $6 or so. i really like the look of your setup. so much room to run around. i might take the log out of mine. also, the rocks are touching the ground, i have one large flat rock on the base and other rocks on top of that to get closer to the basking spot.
cheers, ben.

as said before, its a bit dark...other than that looks like a good set-up, whats the dimensions? is it the 3x2x2 tank you were talking about? also where are you getting your monitor from...im looking for a 2nd one?

Hi Ben,
l glad to see that you love the look of my Sand Monitor set-up and you are right there sure is plenty of room to move around in the indoor enclosure l kept 1 of my Desert Sand Monitor's in until August this year.
l am looking at selling this large enclosure, you may have seen my ads on RDU-AHC or PetLink during the last few days, let me know if your interested in it or not by replying to my ads.

Last edited:
the monitor is only 3 months old, im getting it from adsell on this site, also known as adam elliot (i think). The tank is 4ft L x 2ft D x 3ft H but i will be upgrading over christmas to something 3-4ft D x 3ft H x 6-8ft L.

i saw that add, i would so buy it if i had the money...but i dont... so i wont. looks great. the next enclosure should last it for a while

what are the dimensions of that enclosure bluey? is it indoor? and also how deep is the sand?
This large indoor enclosure is 6 foot square and the walls are 2 foot high and can be extended to 3 foot high, the sand is 8 inches deep at the deep end, and 2 inches deep at the shellow end of the enclosure, and it is indoor and can be wheeled outdoor on a sunny day if need be, cause it has 9 wheeles attached underneath it, so you can easily move it around where ever you want it, each wheel can support unto 40kg each in weight, the enclosure is made from Exterior Plywood, the walls are 20mm thick and the floor is 25mm thick and the floor also has Laminex glued to it for added protection, from scratching or toilet droppings.

Last edited:
thats an awesome enclosure. so when i build the new enclosure i need more floor space than anything right? that makes sense. now you have got me thinking where in my house i could put something like that lol. my enclosures need to be re-arranged so im sure i can work out some space.

My ad on RDU AHC has now been removed from there by myself earlier on today, cause l was not getting any replies at all, but you can still see it on Petlink.
Jinin is right this professionaly built Reptile enclosure, will last for a very long time, as long as you keep it clean and give it a fresh coat of paint every 2 to 4 years.

Here you can see what l kept my other 4 adult Sand Monitor's in outdoor here at my place. and this is what you will need when your juvenile Sand Monitor's reaches adult size.

Last edited:
what if i were to make an enclosure that was one on top of the other and joined them with a ramp. similar to that of sweetangels (i think) but made it a fair size bigger? probably something like the bottom enclosure being 4ft L x 2ft W x 3ft H and the top enclosure being about the same?

Ben,
Sand Monitor's are not tree dwellers like say Lace Monitor's or Black-Headed Monitor's, they would prefer more room at one level which is ground level to move around, look at where they come from in the wild natually, which is the Desert Regions of Australia, and out there its all very flat land with hardly any trees in site, and has you should know they live in burrows below ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back