Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I went on a brief trip to the Northern Territory last week. I have always wanted to see this area during the monsoon when it is lush and green. It really was a lovely site. The only problem with a visit during the wet was that the highway between Darwin and Kakadu can be cut at anytime should the rains be particularly heavy. This happened on the night of my arrival and twice during the previous week. I was concerned about pushing my luck and staying too long in the park since I did not want to miss my flight back to Sydney. I ended up spending 1.5 days in Kakadu NP then drove to Litchfield NP for a day. My final day was spent in Darwin where I visited the botanical gardens and an area of monsoon rain forest on East Point.

Jabiru in eastern Kakadu is about a 3.5 hour drive from the airport in Darwin. That was the area where I spent most of my brief visit.

Kakadu is famous for its wetlands. At this time of the year, the flood plain was full of water and all sorts of life. Crocs were numerous. I was amazed by the local fishermen who often stood right at the edge of deep pools while casting and retrieving their lures. A few guys were even wading waist deep in a creek and throwing a net to catch bait fish. I always had the impression that such activities would end with an attack.
habitatfloodplain2.jpg

habitatfloodplain3.jpg

habitatfloodplain6.jpg

habitatfloodplain7.jpg

Paperbarks (Melaleuca sp.) grew out on the flooded areas as well. This was the habitat of Bar-breasted Honeyeaters, a new bird to me.
habitatfloodplain8.jpg

habitatfloodplain11.jpg

One of my favourite birds up north is the Black-necked Stork (formerly "Jabiru"). This one is a juvenile but I saw adults as well.
habitatfloodplain5.jpg

Magpie Geese seemed to be the most abundant or at least conspicuous bird in the wet areas.
habitatfloodplain1.jpg

habitatfloodplain4.jpg

Radjah Shelducks have a nice pattern.
RadjahBourkesShelduck.jpg

The area that I enjoyed the most was Nourlangie Rock. This hill is an outlier of the Arnhem Land escarpment. I really enjoyed the vibrant colour and texture of the rocks. Here are a few photos of Nourlangie.
Nourlangie15.jpg

Nourlangie9.jpg

Nourlangie4.jpg

Nourlangie6.jpg

Nourlangie5.jpg

Nourlangie17.jpg

Nourlangie11.jpg

I originally had intended to stay in this campground that was fairly close to Nourlangie. I changed plans after finding that is was closed during the wet due to water levels and crocs. Apparently, crocs wander around the campsite at night. It would be an interesting experience to find one "sniffing" around the tents and contemplating the chewy centres. I ended up staying in a commercial campground in the town of Jabiru.
habitatfloodplain10.jpg

Aborigines have lived here for thousands of years. There were numerous caves around the base of the rock with their artwork.
Nourlangie16.jpg

Reptiles were not as common as I had expected. On night drives, I saw a few of these Keelbacks (Tropidonophis mairii).
Keelback1.jpg

Brown Tree Snakes (Boiga irregularis) were common. They often put on a great show.
BrownTreeSnake2.jpg

BrownTreeSnake1.jpg

... poor thing had a tick on its eye. I did not notice it at night or I would have removed the pest.
BrownTreeSnake3.jpg

I found a single AOR Children's Python (Antaresia childreni) and one DOR.
ChildrensPython1.jpg

I also bumped into a few large pythons. Both Olive (Liasis olivaceus) and Water Pythons (L. mackloti) were numerous in the park. I had help with the identification of these. The following are Olive Pythons due to the lack of yellow ventrals and head shape.
OlivePython5.jpg

OlivePython2.jpg

OlivePython1.jpg

... this one was huge and heavy bodied.
OlivePython4.jpg

I only saw a single elapid but at least it was a new one to me. This was a large Greater Black Whipsnake (Demansia papuensis) that was crossing the road late one afternoon. These are fast snakes and I only managed a lousy shot before it raced out of sight.
GreaterBlackWhipsnake.jpg

Gehyra nana was a lifer.
Nourlangiegecko1.jpg

Nourlangiegecko2.jpg

Both Amphibolurus gilberti and A. temporalis live in the park. They look quite similar so I am not certain of the id. I think that these are Gilbert's Dragons due to the relatively short tail.
GilbertsDragon1.jpg

Amphibolurus1.jpg

Amphibolurus2.jpg

Here are a couple of the numerous Carlia skinks. I am not certain but think them to be C. amax and/or C. rufilatus.
Carlia2.jpg

Carlia1.jpg

I think that this is Ctenotus essingtonii.
NourlangieCtenotus1.jpg

another shy Ctentous sp. There are several striped species like this in Kakadu so I am not certain of the id.
NourlangieCtenotus2.jpg

I climbed Nourlangie one morning and then wandered around the sandstone blocks and interesting heathland of the summit plateau. A beautiful red-flowered Grevillea was in full bloom. These were attractive to both butterflies and birds. The escarpment in the distance is part of Arnhem Land.
NourlangieArnhemLand3.jpg

Nourlangiegrevillea3.jpg

Nourlangie13.jpg

Silver-crowned Friarbird
NourlangieSilver-crownedFriarbird1.jpg

I think that these are Wattle Blues (Theclinesthes miskini) but am not 100% certain of the id.
Nourlangieblue1.jpg

NourlangieBlue2.jpg

This native ginger had interesting pink and yellow flowers. It grew along a flowing creek that I followed to the summit.
NourlangieGinger.jpg

These Clearwing Swallowtail (Cressida cressida) were a beautiful sight. They loved the Grevilleas and I saw them whenever I walked through this area.
ClearwingSwallowtail1aCressidacressida.jpg

ClearwingSwallowtail3.jpg

ClearwingSwallowtail2.jpg

Pandanus were common plants on the rocks along the trail.
Nourlangiepandanus.jpg

Nourlangie18.jpg

After a good deal of sweating, I reached the summit plateau. There was a small flowing creek here and I spent awhile floating in the water and cooling down. Temps were not all that high, just the lower 30s, but the humidity was extreme and I was constantly dripping with perspiration.
Nourlangie1.jpg

Nourlangie3.jpg

A nice flowering pea:
Nourlangiepea1.jpg

I need help with the id of this Grass-Yellow. I think that it is a Scalloped Grass-Yellow (Eurema alitha) but the similar E. hecabe is also found here along with 4 others of the genus.
ScallopedGrassYellow1.jpg

NourlangieGrass-Yellow2.jpg

ScallopedGrassYellow2.jpg

Orange Ringlets were commonly seen as they flew along the trail or low over the surrounding vegetation.
OrangeRinglet1.jpg

OrangeRinglet2.jpg

OrangeRinglet5Hypocystaadiante.jpg

Interesting flower:
Nourlangieflower1.jpg

Native Hibiscus:
hibiscus.jpg

I was happy to see a couple of the special butterflies that only live in this sandstone country. The following are Spotted Opals (Nesolycaena urumelia), Lycaenids with unusually coloured upper wings.
SpottedOpal1.jpg

SpottedOpal2.jpg

SpottedOpal3.jpg

Rock Grass-Darts (Taractrocera ilia) are another species restricted to this sort of habitat in the NT.
NourlangieRockDart2.jpg

I saw Twin Dusky-Blues (Candalides geminus) around a vine-like plant similar to where I see Varied Dusky-Blues here in NSW.
NourlangieTwin-spotBlue.jpg

NourlangieTwin-spotBlue2.jpg

A pretty Reduviid:
Nourlangiehemipteran1.jpg

A Pentatomid:
orthopterran1.jpg

Watch out, the mods might delete pics 44, 46, 47.

I love Australia! Some great pictures, I need to get up there one day soon...

Sssshhh!!!!

Dont tell everyone how good the Top End is in the Wet! We have to go miles off road to get away from the tourists in the Dry and the Wet is our time.:D

If you went to Litchfield you would have seen Buley's Rockholes, we had that spot to ourselves on New Years eve, the Rangers dropped in for a few ales and we had a magical night. In the Dry there would be hundreds at this spot.

They are absolutely awesome photos. Would love to get up there one day. What camera do you use?

Mind if I use browntreesnake2.jpg as my Facebook profile picture?

Great work as always Moloch, my mate just spent a week up there hopefully he did half as good as you.

Thanks very much, everyone, for the feedback.

SteveNT, The wet is a great time for a visit. I loved having Kakadu pretty much all to myself. I saw no one on the road at night and only a few people at places such as Nourlangie Rock. The campground where I stayed in Jabiru was empty. It was huge so there obviously are many visitors in the winter. I no longer go to tropical Qld in the winter for the same reason. It is just too crowded.

Jacquie, I use a Canon 40D and then various lenses ranging from an Tamron 18x250 zoom to a Tamron 180mm macro.

Plimby, that is fine.

I will post photos from Litchfield before long.

Regards,
David

That's really good for 1.5 days in Kakadu, both in quantity and quality of photos. Most people visit in the dry season but they probably wouldn't recognise the place if they returned in the wet.

The best time for seeing huge numbers of Magpie Geese is just at the end of the dry season around the Mamukala Floodplains, or around the mango farms near Darwin.

The Radjah Shelducks are more commonly known here as Burdekin Ducks.

The proper name for Nourlangie is Burrungguy. The pandanus growing along the trail there is Pandanus basedowi, endemic to that sandstone region.

That campground looks like Malabanbandju, didn't know it was being completely closed off now for the wet. But there are some big crocs living there.

The Grevillea is G. dimidiata, quite common through there.

The "Interesting flower" is Vigna vexillata, its underground tuber was eaten by Aborigines.

The "Native Hibiscus" actually looks like a Glossipium sp., would need to see more of the plant.

Looking forward to the Litchfield photos.

Friar birds are one of my favourite Australian bird species - I love their call.

Tell me though - is the call of the Silver Crowned Friarbird similar to the 'Helmeted Friarbird'? (awful name for an ugly bird with a beautiful - but weird call).

I've always likened the call of the friarbird to one of those squeaky clown 'hammer' toys.

As always - they're amazing photos...

Wow, what great photos, I am drooling! We were up there this time last year and saw very little besides cane toads (I think it was just too wet!)
However we have just booked another trip up there for the end of April so hopefully will see a few of the species you saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back