Keeping crickets warm in winter?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laefiren

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I’m currently keeping my crickets in one of those large plastic storage tubs with some holes drilled in the lid. However it is REALLY COLD in Adelaide right now so they’re not handling it all that well. Any ideas on keeping them warm? I’m kind of worried about melting the plastic or something.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/montgomery-128l-clear-modular-storage-container_p0219788 (it’s the 90L version of this one which seems to not be available anymore)

If you just have one tub look for free heat in your house, you could put them on top of your water heater if it's inside, one place we lived at had the water heater in a cupboard which housed multiple colonies in winter, or keep them on top of a reptile cabinet that's already heated. Ive also used a small heat pad for one single enclosure like the ones sold for betta fish or hermit crabs.
In my invert room under the house I have one 7 metre heat cord that I've installed under all the shelves, it's a good thing and keeps the entire room at least 10°c warmer in winter. The highest enclosures in the room don't need to be heated.
Ive never needed to heat woody roach breeding colonies, crickets are a pain in the butt.IMG_20190722_150354.jpgScreenshot_20220514-115742_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20220514-115745_Photos.jpg

If you just have one tub look for free heat in your house, you could put them on top of your water heater if it's inside, one place we lived at had the water heater in a cupboard which housed multiple colonies in winter, or keep them on top of a reptile cabinet that's already heated. Ive also used a small heat pad for one single enclosure like the ones sold for betta fish or hermit crabs.
In my invert room under the house I have one 7 metre heat cord that I've installed under all the shelves, it's a good thing and keeps the entire room at least 10°c warmer in winter. The highest enclosures in the room don't need to be heated.
Ive never needed to heat woody roach breeding colonies, crickets are a pain in the butt.View attachment 333380View attachment 333381View attachment 333382
I have them in the family room right now as it’s the warmest room in the house. My water heater is outside so that won’t work either.

I agree crickets are a lot more picky than woodies, too cold and they die, not enough humidity, they die. Woodies you give them egg trays + food scraps and they thrive

My frogs aren’t great at catching woodies. I found 5 in their tank in the spagnum moss which I thought had been eaten but I guess not. My main problem is they like to hunt for their prey rather than be fed. But considering there’s wild crickets outside right now I’m surprised how delicate they seem to be.

I’ve grabbed myself one of those heat mats for hermit crabs like suggested. I also grabbed some fly larvae when I was down at the shops and I think perhaps the problem last time was that they were too cold as I’d taken them out of the fridge. They were room temperature this time and they didn’t spit them out.

my family aren’t really into the idea of having woodies in the house since they’re roaches and all.

Do majority ofyours make it to adulthood? For some reason I can get them to go from hatchling to smalls, sometimes mediums and then they just start dying off
You have to keep separating them, you can't leave them overcrowded, they are highly cannibalistic and will eat each other until you have a dozen left. Basically I do have losses but I overproduce so much that I always end up with enough juvie sized ones for my needs.

Do majority ofyours make it to adulthood? For some reason I can get them to go from hatchling to smalls, sometimes mediums and then they just start dying off
first up don't use too much wet food, this is the biggest mistake by most keepers. Also make sure you have good ventilation

Ooh can you feed them fish food? We have some extra from types of fish we aren’t keeping anymore. I’ve heard you can do dry cat and dog food.

first up don't use too much wet food, this is the biggest mistake by most keepers. Also make sure you have good ventilation

What's a good recommended dry food for crickets @dragonlover1 ? seems that every brand of dry dog food I have ever tried brings grain mites into my colonies.
Every 3-6 months those little mongrels go through my colonies then I have to start all over again, going great guns atm but have thousands hatched and hatching.

What's a good recommended dry food for crickets @dragonlover1 ? seems that every brand of dry dog food I have ever tried brings grain mites into my colonies.
Every 3-6 months those little mongrels go through my colonies then I have to start all over again, going great guns atm but have thousands hatched and hatching.
I just buy the cheapest brand at the supermarket but I keep it in an airtight barrel and put in a small handful at a time and then a chunk of carrot daily when I feed my dragons their veges. I have never had grain mites.
BUT I am about to change to pollard for my woodies and superworms so I will try the crix on that as well

Back