Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black.Rabbit

Reaction score
With the temperature pushing 40 today in Sydney, and more hot weather on the way I am having trouble maintaining a 'cool side' to my Woma's click clack.

I am keeping the heat mat off during the day (and possibly the night as well seeing as it's 32 degrees in my house at 10:30pm :shock:)

How do I help her escape the heat??

heat mat off in temps like that , i live in basically the center of Australia so i am constantly dealing with 45+ heat best thing you can do is turn all heat sources off place a fan in the room and open a few windows/ doors

I'm going to have to buy a fan tomorrow...
I have one window open (As I only have one small window where my woma is kept) and the blinds shut permanently, although not sure if it is helping or hindering the temp in here.
A friend suggested I keep her in the bathroom til the heat wave passes?
Man I wish I had air-con, stupid rental!

yeah i forgot to mention when it gets realy hot here (around 49-51) i place all my tubs in the bathroom on the floor or in the bathtub

Its not the cheapest but I keep my snakes in the upstairs lounge so we just have the AC on. So it keeps use and them cool.

Would you suggest to turn off the heat lamps in bearded dragons tanks during heat like this and heat cords for geckos???

Don't Woma's come from the desert were it's bloody hot?
Give him a tub of water to get into.

Nephrurus levis pilbarensis. I have a few at the moment that I'm thinking of selling but none as yellow as him.

He's one that I'll keep forever. I'll get some pics of my young ones up tomorrow :) can someone help me with my heat lamps and heat cord please. Should I turn them off during this kind of hot weather???

All I do for my animals is make sure they have fresh cool water, & I run a fan in the room. When I'm home from work I'll air con the house, but during the day (on these 40C+ days), inside hits mid 30s. I'm not too worried about the snakes or blueys, mostly the geckos, who I mist morning & evening on days like this. All my heat mats etc are on thermostats so they will be switched off anyway at 32-33C.

Last edited:
if your worried about overheating them just turn the heat source off they will not die

I have much more of an issue with my rats. How do people keep them cool? I just lost a whole litter of month olds that I was growing for my adult Jungle. Maybe I will need to insulate my shed?
PS Sorry for stealing the thread. I was gonna make a new one but this is kinda the same thing

I place the big 1kg esky ice blocks or frozen water bottles in with both my snakes and rats on these hots days. Seems to do the trick!

I have not had heat on my snakes for weeks now, they still feed and act as per normal. Woma's being desert species they will handle the heat fine, just make sure they have water to cool themselves if they need to, as desert species will go underground to find cooler temps, no snake can handle constant high temps!!

On hot days I give my snake cold water from the fridge. On really hot days I put a block of ice in his water, especially if i won't be home, so it stays cooler for longer.

I just cut the heat. I felt so sorry for my Hopping Mice, they normally all sleep together lately they are sitting by them self with their legs and arm splade out, I put some cold apple in there and one just got on it, then collapsed and took in the coldness, poor thing. Im spraying them and putting cold water in there but its just too hot still.

Jinin I know your pain. I feel so bad for the little guys seeing them suffer in the heat.
When you say you cut the heat do you have thermostats? Because if there are thermostats on the heaters they will just keep themselves off while it's this hot anyway right?

My Wheeleri and Levis are misted in the morning and at night same for the Thickies on the hot days, their tubs are currently on the bathroom floor tiles. All heatmats have thermo's so they don't come on over set temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back