Keeping reptiles safe during pest treatments (bifenthrin)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuchinoko

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My house is getting sprayed for pests and I was wondering if anyone has any input on how to keep my snake safe during the process. I know the safest bet would be to just not get the house sprayed but unfortunately its out of my control. The pest guy said the treatment should be safe for reptiles as it is a bifenthrin product that is sprayed only on the floor and then dries quickly - I'm guessing its mainly a hazard when is airborne. I'm taking the whole reptile-safe thing with a grain of salt and was wondering what type of precautions should I take? obviously I'll take her and all the contents of her enclosure out of the house while its being sprayed and maybe give it an hour or two just to let any airborne particles settle but is there anything else beyond that? should i try and keep her at a friends house for a while? Could I just move her enclosure outside where theres plenty of ventilation and just keep her there for the night while the spray settles? Would it be fine to just give it an hour or two, clean her enclosure and then pop her back in? Would love to hear anyones thoughts/previous experiences with pest control while keeping reptiles
Appreciate it

I would remove water/food and reptile and when it's safe for you to return it's most likely safe for your reptile also , if only sprayed on floor everything in tank should be fine, also wait 24 hours before returning water bowl so not to react with spray that might be airborne. Just my thoughts on it 👍🇩🇰

I would remove water/food and reptile and when it's safe for you to return it's most likely safe for your reptile also , if only sprayed on floor everything in tank should be fine, also wait 24 hours before returning water bowl so not to react with spray that might be airborne. Just my thoughts on it 👍🇩🇰
Good idea, thanks so much

i would remove the snake from the house for a day for any airborne particles to settle - sit in your car in a pillow case not in direct sunlight, itll be fine
cover the enclosure with a towel + empty the water bowl/ flip it

I am paranoid about the same thing. I refuse to allow any pest sprays in my house as I have about 40 reptiles throughout the the house, No chemicals whatsoever. If you only have the 1 I would say take the enclosure outside, put it in the garage/shed over night. 1 day with no heat wont hurt it. When you bring it back in, scrub the waterbowl etc. and you should be good

Latest posts

Back