Keeping Venomous Snakes in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Amazon

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:#B200FF;">Amaz
Reaction score
I have pasted below from a previous thread some years ago and was wondering if someone could tell me if this is still current law in NSW for having venomous snakes.
Thanks in advance
Paul
References are only necessary for a venomous snake category endorsement. The full criteria is as follows:

NSW CLASS 2 REPTILE KEEPER LICENCE - ADVANCED REPTILE KEEPER

Species that are either rare, difficult to keep and/or potentially dangerous venomous species may be kept only under a Class 2. The are four categories with the Class 2 licence:

Basic � Non venomous species - allows the licensee to hold only non-venomous species listed for Class 2 as well as all species listed in Class 1;
Category 1 Endorsement - Mildly venomous snakes � all species listed for Class 1; the non-venomous species listed below and venomous species listed for Class 2 Category 1;
Category 2 Endorsement - Dangerous venomous snakes - all species listed for Class 1; the non-venomous species listed below and venomous species listed for Class 2 Categories 1and 2 below;
Category 3 Endorsement - Extremely venomous snakes - all species listed for Class 1; the non-venomous species listed below and venomous species listed for Class 2 Categories 1, 2 and 3 below.

All applicants for a Class 2 licence must be over the age of 18 years with at least 2 years experience keeping reptiles. Applicants for Class 2 with a category 1, 2, or 3 endorsement will need to satisfy additional criteria listed under the relevant section.

Dangerous Venomous Snakes

A Class 2 licence with the relevant category endorsement is required to keep venomous species listed under Class 2. Usually, licensees will start with Category 1 licence, then progress to a higher category licence as they gain more experience. The following prerequisites are required before a category 1 licence may be granted.

Pre-requisites - The pre-requisites for a Class 2 Category 1 reptile keepers licence are that the applicant:
1. must be over the age of 18 years;
2. must be able to demonstrate at least 2 years experience in the care of snakes;
3. must supply two written references from appropriately qualified people who can attest to the applicant�s ability, knowledge and experience and suitability to possess species listed in Class 2 category 1. Referees should have extensive experience in the handling and/or husbandry of the species proposed to be held;
4. must demonstrate awareness and knowledge of currently accepted procedures for the treatment of snake bite and first aid equipment for the treatment of snake bite must be kept in a clearly marked and obvious container on site where venomous snakes are being held;
5. must have the required facilities and equipment for the care and security of the animals and for human safety as listed below.

Upgrading licence category endorsements - Endorsement of Class 2 dangerous venomous species licences would normally start with category 1. Advancement to category 2 or from category 2 to 3 is subject to further applications after experience has been gained in the husbandry and keeping of the dangerously venomous snakes listed in the lower category. As a general rule, the applicant will be required to demonstrate at least 12 months experience caring for the lower category dangerous venomous species before a licence could be upgraded to the next category.

Facilities for keeping venomous snakes - Licensees must ensure that they address all animal welfare and husbandry considerations in respect of keeping snakes in captivity and prevent the escape of snakes out of an enclosed environment.

To minimise the possibility of snake-bite, either to the licence holder or to any other person, dangerous venomous snakes may only be kept in lockable, escape-proof containers/cages within a lockable and sealed escape-proof room. Outdoor pits are not appropriate, or acceptable, for the holding of these reptiles.

Security and Access: The individual containers and the room itself must be locked when the licensee is not present in the room to prevent both unauthorised entry and/or tampering with containers/cages and the escape of snakes. Access to all Class 2 snakes must be limited to persons who are under the direct supervision of the licensee or to persons holding a Class 2 licence with the same category endorsement.​

I've just applied and those were the criteria I answered in my application, I'm awaiting a response.

They want you to have done a First Aid course. Thats how they qualify you as knowing current snakebite procedures.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure it hasn't been revised and info I am giving to people in NSW is correct. Do you have to do a first aid course legally or are they just asking you to?
Thanks Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back