Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen a toad in person before so excuse the silly questions but if they are poisonous how are you people able to pick them up to do all these nasty things to them? Do you have to wash your hands really well afterwards or is the secretion only poisonous if ingested? Or is it just easy to avoid touching the part that secretes the poison?

The poison is in glands that are concentrated over the shoulders but also in lesser strength over the back.

Crows and intermediate herons have worked out that you can flip them over and eat them through the guts,

Nice to see the adaptations happening but here the damage is done. Next the Kimberly then the Pilbara.

When Canberra suffers a species loss the the Army, Navy and Airforce will be mobilised but TOO BLURRY LATE!

dissected these in physio class last semester 'in the name of science'
thing was we were never to cut through the head region, something about preserving an animals dignity
sooo, in short, cut off a large blood vessel and killed the poor thing (all this under anesthesia), and done

question tho, wouldn't blunt force trauma on the head kill them rather quickly if not instantly? Is it not recommended cz theres sometimes not enough force exerted which means it dies rather slowly or is it something else?

….We need to kill them. They were never going to get to Brisbane (too cold) never going to cross the Gulf ( too dry) etc,etc,etc

They are an evolutionary powerhouse and the damage will just continue from the point zero of Gordonvale. People there think that things have returned to normal but it is a NEW normal and a thinner and emptier one.

I very much sympathise with what you are saying. The toads do need to be stopped somehow, if at all possible. The point I was making earlier is that one off removal of a 50 toads here or a hundred toads there, from areas where they are already established, is not going to change anything in the long run. Toadbusters are doing their best to try and hold the invasion front and they have had some measure of success in doing so. They are removing around 50,000 toads a year from half a dozen invasion corridors.

The available evidence indicates that populations of native vertebrates do come back, in varying degrees, in areas where the toads have long been established. Unfortunately there were no population studies done before the toads were introduced so there is no data that can be utilised as a basis to determine an accurate degree of “bouncing back”.

It is anything but a simple matter to do a population survey on a range of different animals over massive distances and taking into normal annual variation in numbers with seasonal changes, variation in numbers with a change in the geography, and variation due to variation in climatic patterns and parameters from one year to the next. Think of the amount of water dropped in Queensland this year, the effects that could have and how long they could last. The there is the sampling method, which needs to appropriate for each separate species and may require development and trialling first, which takes time, effort and money. There are now monitoring methods in place for a select number of species to try to accurately determine the actual impact toads have. From Dr. David Pearson’s studies (DEC WA) so far, Varanus panoptes populations are significantly reduced and so is Pseudechis australis. We haven’t a clue on the effects on invertebrates. What can be said, at this point in time, is that no vertebrate animal has become extinct or is in imminent danger of extinction as a result of the cane toad. But that is no reason for complacency.

Blue

question tho, wouldn't blunt force trauma on the head kill them rather quickly if not instantly? Is it not recommended cz theres sometimes not enough force exerted which means it dies rather slowly or is it something else?
Yes, blunt force trauma will kill them instantly, if done properly. I don’t why it is not recommended but I will hazard a guess… The toads are very robust and you need to totally destroy the brain box and contents to kill them. So hitting a golf shot with them would do the trick if the head were hit like a golf ball. However, trying to club one to death on soft, wet ground is not likely to meet with immediate success. The other factor is probably the toxin. Your blunt force trauma is very likely to contact the parotid glands, and in the process, you end up with toxin being sprayed around or onto things. That would be my guess.

Blue

I've already commented on this too many times on earlier threads.

Use the search function cobber!

And where are the quolls "bouncing back"?

I havent seen a wild one in a decade but in the 90's (pre toad here) they were a standard on any bush trip.
They used to clean our plates!

It has been suggested that where the toads had established for 30 years or more - natives 'bounced back'.

but whatever dude your opinion ;)

Not my opinion, but that of R Shrine... And many other notable researchers - my opinion hasn't even been suggested here yet!

I strongly suggest (here's my opinion now) you all do some research... Start here: Fogg Dam

And one more - from our very own Colin...

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/chit-chat-39/best-way-kill-toad-143369/page/5#post1778541

Read it carefully - in fact, go through that whole thread...

Last edited:
I agree with blue, they spread very quickly very easily. When they were first introduced, I think less than 100 were introduced and look how much theyve spread since then. So unless hundreds are killed every night without giving up, theres no chance youll get rid of them. A lot of people here (richoman) just kill them for fun, not because they care about the impact theyre having.
And saximus, the poison is only bad if ingested, but even then itll take a lot to kill a human. Though I hear toad poison is included as a class A drug.

LOL, funny alex :p
i wish i could kill them for fun, none her in melbourne :/
So you want one of Australias worst pests to spread to Melbourne just so you can have the fun of killing them? Sounds like your not one for reducing the population...

Just read through previous posts - killing them is not eh issue - it's how they're killed that is!

Would you get a golf club to a reticulated python?

Just read through previous posts - killing them is not eh issue - it's how they're killed that is!

Would you get a golf club to a reticulated python?
Certainly, as long as it was a male, filled in his divots, and followed the dress code.

Yer average Burm is more of a bowler

I hear ya... Very true! Would they wear a hat with a feather boa?

Oh, back to reality.. Let's drop drug filled cane beetles... That'll see our stoner toads getting wasted!

it has been noted that in NT dogs have been seen licking the backs of cane toads to get high on the poison which is why they could be considered a class a drug !!!

killling cane toads is enviromentally friendly but even better it helps metally sick people such as myself have a bit of disturbed fun !! while killing any animal for fun is not good i have a pre disposition from the cave man days of killing ? call it sick ! call it what u want ! but if i see a cane toad death is coming for it !!! while this trait is also high in serial killers death and mutilation of animals i only feel the need to kill feral animals pigs, canes toads, cats , migrants , ( joke only ) most of us would feel no objection to killing cane toads to save other spicies effected by the toads destruction.

Oh, back to reality.. Let's drop drug filled cane beetles... That'll see our stoner toads getting wasted!

I'd then anticipate hoards of awkwardly dressed individuals gazing at the sky rhythmically following planes around crying out ' here comes the mother load '.

Kman - you're totally ok with the killing... but it's the how you kill it that counts...

Are you setting up Jigsaw style murders for the toads?

In reality - the killing is ok... It doesn't do much for the environment (unless you mulch them and use them as a soil conditioner) but it keeps you off the streets - which to me sounds far more beneficial to the locals.

Be swift, with the least amount of terror.

I'm all for drug laced beetles though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back