Knob tailed gecko breeding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle1

Reaction score
this may be a stupid question, but can you breed geckos of different sub species together? I do not own any knob tailed geckos as of yet, and just want to know as much as possible before I purchase.

Kyle

Yes, it's possible, but 'should you?' is a subjective question. Most people prefer them pure and you're probably not going to get anything which looks better by crossing them. There may also be legal issues in some states.

I'm not going to tell you what to do (others angrily will! Haha!) but I can't see any reason to do it and several reasons not to. Personally I definitely wouldn't.

No worries :) Knob-tailed Geckoes are very cool! I used to breed hundreds of them, they're very addictive. Eventually I got overwhelmed by the numbers and was faced with the necessity of downsizing, I had a lot of different groups and couldn't decide which to sell and which to keep, so I just decided since I'd already bred hundreds I'd done enough, and sold the lot :p I do miss them, they were so much fun :)

I’m looking forward to owning and possibly breeding them in the near future, would you recommend a specific group that would be easiest to start off with?

I’m looking forward to owning and possibly breeding them in the near future, would you recommend a specific group that would be easiest to start off with?

They're all much the same. I started with levis levis, then got into occidentalis which I ended up mostly working with because I got hold of a lot of variety including different localities, and I only had a small number of pilbarensis, but mainly because I was already overloaded so didn't have room to expand. They're all about the same size and the same to keep. Plenty of variation in colours and pattern among them. I'd definitely avoid the albinos (some may lie and say the problems can be solved or even that they already have been, but it's not true) but any non morphed ones just come down to preference and price. They're such good geckoes, I must admit, part of me feels like rushing out and getting some when taking part in this thread! If you search the archives on this forum you may find some pictures I posted. Mostly they'd be from around 2006-2009 as I was really ramping up and before I sold them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back