Know your enemy. No! Your enemy.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
peterescue said:
I dont hate toads. they are the unfortunate offspring of an idiotic scheme put together by people after a quick fix to a problem effecting a business concern.
I hate what those people have done. Every animal that dies from interaction with a cane toad is the fault of those people. :evil:

Thank you for this statement. I cringe at the treatment toads receive.
No toad chose to be born here, and they are hated and tortured. Sure, they are a problem and must be eradicated here in Australia, however, I wish more people could show them a little humane compassion during the process.

yeah i do kind of fell sorry when i kill toads but if it means stoping my dogs or native wildlife from eating them and getting poisioned i would kill them in a heartbeat.

Cheers Aaron

I've heard that Tasmania is the only state where the climate is such that toads are unlikely to survive?
I guess the highlands would be safe, and the deserts too.

peterescue said:
I dont hate toads. they are the unfortunate offspring of an idiotic scheme put together by people after a quick fix to a problem effecting a business concern.
:evil:

What's worse is, the toad had been previously introduced to other places for the same reason - Barbados and Jamaica in the 1800's, Puerto Rico in 1923 and Hawaii in 1932 - and they failed to do the job in those instances as well. But the Govt still went ahead and introduced them.

You can't legislate against stupidity. More's the pity.

:(

Hix

First there was Charlie Carp, now there is Darwin Toad Juice ;)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/its-new-toad-juice/2006/01/25/1138066843784.html

Has anything further been discovered about what they can do to eradicate the Cane toads?? There was word of the possiblity of one day being able to turn their poison back on the toads themselves when I was reading an article from the Qld Institute for Molecular Bioscience.

This is an interesting site:

http://www.frogwatch.org.au/canetoads/index.cfm

Are they officially recognized as being this far south, or perhaps liberated from one of the Uni's?

Last year approximately 50 were picked up around the Sydney region, quite a few from the Engadine/Heathcote area. They are most commonly stowaways on shipments of garden mulch from Queensland. They are not officially recognised as being found in Sydney.

Alex

interesting article from the SMH..sounds like a good idea

Can't believe their already being found in sydney, something has to be done and QUICK !!!!!

Congo

My old man is tring to come up with a quick and humane way of disposing of them that local government employees(ie council workers) can use on a day to day basis, and possibly the general public aswell, but is still tring to work out a few bugs in the invention first to make it work efficiently. This system can euthanise 100's a day if the times put into it and it is species specific (which is the main thing).

Congo

what i personally beleive needs to happen is a cain toad proof fence shoudl be placed around all dams and maintained so that no baby or adult toads enter or leave the dam. the dam/pond near my grandparents house in lismore was full of baby toads. thats not a good thing!

also on a tv show on animal planet it said that the very young toads like just came out of the water aren't toxic. is that true?

we are never going to be able to erradicate them at this time but we can slow them down. also i think looking into having breeding programs of that snake species that can eat them would be good. also to my knowledge some birds such as ravens/crows etc have learne to flip them over and eat them from the belly in or via the mouth.

also i would think it woudl be wise if everybody in cain toad effected areas would install cain toad traps into their backyards. basically a bucket in the ground with a lamp hanging over the middle of it.

as to the humane way i wreckon if they have ways to kill them humanely in bulk then locations should be setup where you can take the taods you catch to be disposed off.

my 2 cents

Andrew

Hi Pete
we have had a few turn up down here at wollongong but they are always near the uni for some reason we take them to our vets to get them put down probably only 2 a year but thats enough
mick

what i personally beleive needs to happen is a cain toad proof fence shoudl be placed around all dams and maintained so that no baby or adult toads enter or leave the dam. the dam/pond near my grandparents house in lismore was full of baby toads. thats not a good thing!

Good in theory but not in practice. A 'cane toad proof fence' would also stop all of the remaining ground frogs in the area from reaching water and therefore being unable to breed. This 'cane toad proof fence' would also have negative effects on many other species of wildlife.

also on a tv show on animal planet it said that the very young toads like just came out of the water aren't toxic. is that true?

No this is not true. One thing alot of people don't realise is that they are always poisonous, even when they are tadpoles.

also i think looking into having breeding programs of that snake species that can eat them would be good.

The snake you are referring to is the keelback. These snakes are only physically capable of eating juvenile-size toads. For these snakes to have any visible effect on cane toad population numbers you would need thousands of these snakes to be released which in its self is not beneficial to the ecosystem.

Alex

no the show said when they just get out fo the water not when they are tadpoles. just out of the water , very young toads.

still stick to the idea that everybody in areas that have cain toads should install cain toad traps. i also beleive that looking into humane ways to kill cain toads without shooting/crushing them should be looked into.

whats the current recomended method for killing them, 24 hours in the freezer?

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back