Komodo dragons and Tsunami

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have heard lots of the human tradgedy caused by the Tsunami but not surprisingly very little about wild life. Doubtless in the longer term this will change.

A disaster of this nature has the potential to completely wipe out the wild population of Komodo dragons. They are only found on a small number of low lying islands in Indonesia - mostly Komodo and Rinca. These islands would have been severely affected by the Tsunami. An extinction of this nature would also be very tragic though there are probably sufficient of these magnificent reptiles in captive breeding programs to restablish the wild population.

komodo7.jpg

komodo8.jpg

It was not. The tsunamis caused damage mostly along the West coast of the Malayan Peninsula, Sumatra, and then along the coasts of the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean. Komodo is much further east, and sheltered by a large number of intervening islands. The only part of Indonesia to have suffered damage is Sumatra, in the west of the country.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

I hope nothing happens to Komodo Dragon's they are such magnificent animals, it would definately be a tradegy. I hope Dicco what your saying is true.

What Wolfgang and Dicco said (over a month ago) is true. Komodo was too far away and protected by Sumatra and Java (and Bali).

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back