Lace monitor outdoors in Adelaide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 52453

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with keeping Lace monitors in an outdoor enclosure in Adelaide, or in a similar cooler climate?
I have kept Eastern Water Dragons outdoors, and they did really well. They just hibernated throughout winter, but thrived in their enclosure for years.
I know the wild Laceys thrive up in QLD, but their range extends across to Melbourne and almost to Adelaide. So I'd imagine they should be ok.
I would raise them indoors for 2 years I think before I'd look to move them outdoors.

It's absolutely possible, just make sure your pit/aviary is well-designed. A north-facing aspect is ideal. Animals originating from north QLD may not thrive as well, but you're unlikely to find animals with these genetics available even if you try. Adelaide has a great climate for these monitors, much better than their natural range in most of Victoria (even for animals which come from those parts of Victoria). Obviously I'm assuming you're not up on Mt. Lofty etc and there's nothing else unusual about your situation. Putting them on a southerly aspect would result in certain failure, etc, but in a normal part of Adelaide with a thoughtful design you can have them absolutely thrive outdoors with no supplemental heating.

It's absolutely possible, just make sure your pit/aviary is well-designed. A north-facing aspect is ideal. Animals originating from north QLD may not thrive as well, but you're unlikely to find animals with these genetics available even if you try. Adelaide has a great climate for these monitors, much better than their natural range in most of Victoria (even for animals which come from those parts of Victoria). Obviously I'm assuming you're not up on Mt. Lofty etc and there's nothing else unusual about your situation. Putting them on a southerly aspect would result in certain failure, etc, but in a normal part of Adelaide with a thoughtful design you can have them absolutely thrive outdoors with no supplemental heating.
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually moving back to the Adelaide hills (currently in Brisbane), so a little bit cooler during the winter. I'd definitely put in the time and effort to design something decent. I've got plenty of space to play with in my yard.
I was wondering about the genetic stock amongst the Laceys on the market, and how this could affect how well they might tolerate cooler conditions.
I'm just trying to plan in advance, as they are awesome monitors, but I want to make sure they can thrive if I'm going to own one.

I am in a lace monitor group on FB and I have a couple of friends in Adelaide who keep Lacies outdoors. Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/626398407422441 and look for Richard Biffin , he is in the Hills and has much experience with monitors
Cheers mate. I'll check that out. I'm actually moving back to the hills, so that's good to know.

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually moving back to the Adelaide hills (currently in Brisbane), so a little bit cooler during the winter. I'd definitely put in the time and effort to design something decent. I've got plenty of space to play with in my yard.
I was wondering about the genetic stock amongst the Laceys on the market, and how this could affect how well they might tolerate cooler conditions.
I'm just trying to plan in advance, as they are awesome monitors, but I want to make sure they can thrive if I'm going to own one.

Cheers mate. I'll check that out. I'm actually moving back to the hills, so that's good to know.

Having a good warm season is more important than the cold season being cold, if that makes sense. Once it's too cold for them to be in their active season, it doesn't much matter if it's a little too cold or a lot too cold, because either way they're shut down (obviously assuming they're not freezing solid etc).

As I said, north QLD animals might be more sensitive, but you won't find those genetics anyway. Most captives are from NSW origin.

The Adelaide Hills aren't quite as nice as Adelaide for what you're wanting, but if you have a north-facing hill/slope/brick wall/etc, and you design it well, you'll be fine. On a south aspect you couldn't keep them alive even in most of their natural range. Enclosure design with thermal properties in mind is critical. Get that right and you'll have no problem (you can often keep tropical/hot reptiles in very cold climates if you design the enclosure well). Get that wrong and you'll definitely fail. When I say enclosure design in this context I'm not at all talking about climbing space or hides etc etc.

Lacies are extremely tough. They get frost and snow across a lot of their natural distribution. Cold during winter shouldn't bother them, but heat when they need it is critical.

Latest posts

Back