Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OPPPO

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Is there a snake that when taken out of its enclosure will happily curl up on the couch with me? The reptilian version of a lap cat??
I find snakes to be beautiful animals but have recently had a change of heart and don't like keeping animals in enclosures (even fish!!!).

So what I'm looking for is a snake that I can let out of its enclosure for periods of time and not worry about having to chase it around the house.

I would love a GTP but at the moment they are out of my budget and the enclosure would have to be pretty big.

Any suggestions?

No snake can be left to free roam, none are like cats im afraid and if you get one you need to keep it in an enclosure. Anyway, most snakes like small enclosures as they make them feel more secure, if you keep one in a tank too big they can stress out and stop eating.

my jungle python, peanut, curls up and rests either on my head, chest or my lap with me while i watch tv :) she also sits on my head while im making dinner and stuff too :) depends on the snake i guess?

my jungle python, peanut, curls up and rests either on my head, chest or my lap with me while i watch tv :) she also sits on my head while im making dinner and stuff too :) depends on the snake i guess?
Yes but thats only for short periods of time, OPPPO wants one that will free roam without any worry.

A plastic snake would be the only thing you could just let free roam. Anything else needs an enclosure.

Thats the sort of thing i"m after. Thanks.

snakeluvver - I'm not after a snake I can let roam around the house while I'm at work. I know snakes need a secure enclosure. What I'm after is something that I can have out when I'm at home watching tv or studying and it will keep me company and curl up on the bed or desk happily

So would any python fit this criteria?
Would any other species be suitable?

It doesnt come down to an an certain breed but rather the individual snake. Choose a breed you like, then go hunting for the perfect temperment you are after.

Just get a big one
That way it cant escape easily
Give it one room to hang around in
Lock the doors when you go out and that will comply with regulations

Free roaming larger snakes are common in Asia
Most just find a secure spot and curl up quite happily there until someone comes home and then they wander out to play
We have a 3metre Burmese that was pretty crook when we rescued her
So we kept her in our bedroom in an open topped box
Now when ever her viv in the display area is opened she slides straight out of the shop and back across the courtyard to her favourite spot on our bed

Some pythons can be out for a while sitting with you I guess, just choose a docile individual of whatever species you like the look of. I used to take my spotted python out for a short while and let him sit on my hand or crawl across the floor (with close supervision).

And Jewwy, thats exactly what I thought.

very much down to the individual snake, I have darwin siblings.... one will fall asleep as soon as he stops moving, the other is related to Eddie Kruger !

Heh, lots of mixed opinions here all right. some uncertain, shell477 is spot on, its not really to do with "breeds" of python it comes down to temperment and well, how often you are handling them.
If you handle any python enough it will get used to you, and more than likely just curl up on your lap or around your shoulders or wherever.
In some cases there will be the odd python that just will not let you handle it.
Some hatchling\juvys will be aggressive to start with, but they calm down in no time.
Anyways.
If you dont want the python to grow too large, go for something like ie : spotted python, Stimsons python, Pygmy python ect.. They're all small breeds of pythons.

If your more interested in something that could grow pretty big over time, Something like ie : Diamond python , Coastal pythons , Jungle's or just any kind of carpet.....they all are pretty placid\ great temperments . My favourite is a Diamond or a Jungle. :p
And well heh, i know somebody with a carpet around 10ft and it just sits there most of the day over the Glass front door acting like a curtain,
So its all in the snakes personality, and how it has been treated as a juvy.

There are some breeds that have been known to be alot more aggressive than any other breed . But i wouldnt acuse any breed of being all aggressive, Jungles are said to be aggressive pythons, and well, briiiziii sets a perfect example of that being wrong.

So after all that, honestly it does all just come down to howmuch you want to spend, and what your favourite colors are. ;)

Thanks.

first things first, snakes are not dogs or cats and therefore should not be treated as such nor should you expect them to behave like fluffy tame house pets.

secondly, there has been alot of cases where the smaller python family tended to be abit on the agro side, something about small man syndrome (of course theres probably a few thousand out there who would have different experiences, just saying this is the observation i've seen so far with the ants family)

a subadult may suit you better as hatchies tend to have a lower tolerance to handling and "playing" with, not to mention you would want one to have a decent feeding record

bigger pythons could go either way, but most notable is the jungle which has abit of a reputation, of course this is another wide generalization, as others have said (and proven) it comes down to individual snakes

if you do end up selecting a python, its probably a good idea to have a "test run" and handle them, have a feel etc to check for individual temperament. Of course this is no guarantee either as environmental changes can affect them (i.e. from the breeder to a new enclosure, stress, etc)

finally, there is no such thing as a "perfect pet snake", if there was we wouldn't have a varied selection of species and would probably end up with something like the ball python craze in the US...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back