Legality of feeding skinks?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friller2009

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if it is legal to feed garden skinks to species such as the yellow faced whip snake?

I personally wouldn't recommend keeping yellow faced whip snakes weather it's legal to feed skinks or not, they are supposed to be a pain in the butt with feeding and most are wild caught. I know how it's like loving elapids but not being able to keep browns ect, but If possible, I would recommend a RBB or a brown tree snake instead.

I personally wouldn't recommend keeping yellow faced whip snakes weather it's legal to feed skinks or not, they are supposed to be a pain in the butt with feeding and most are wild caught. I know how it's like loving elapids but not being able to keep browns ect, but If possible, I would recommend a RBB or a brown tree snake instead.
I’m after one because my dream snake is a Mulga and Yellow Faced Whips seem to be the most common R1 elapid that comes up. I didn’t know that you could get Brown Trees to get R2 and R3.

Yeah, Mulgas are awesome, sorry if I came across rude there I was just being straight up :) honestly you can get whatever you want so long as you put in the time to research and study the animal, is what I normally say :)

I’m after one because my dream snake is a Mulga and Yellow Faced Whips seem to be the most common R1 elapid that comes up. I didn’t know that you could get Brown Trees to get R2 and R3.
You don’t need to keep r1/r2 species to keep r3 species (in nsw Atleast) you need to get ur venomous handling license and someone who can be a referral, say someone you know who keeps venomous snakes who has helped train etc, for you in your application for an r3, r3-r5 are all venomous species, r1 and r2 have nothing to do with them

having an r3 license doesn’t allow you to keep r2 species like monitors etc though (you have to be approved by keeping r1 species)

You don’t need to keep r1/r2 species to keep r3 species (in nsw Atleast) you need to get ur venomous handling license and someone who can be a referral, say someone you know who keeps venomous snakes who has helped train etc, for you in your application for an r3, r3-r5 are all venomous species, r1 and r2 have nothing to do with them

having an r3 license doesn’t allow you to keep r2 species like monitors etc though (you have to be approved by keeping r1 species)
I didn’t realise that. I just went off of what they had on the website.
Like how you need to keep a bearded dragon for two years until you could upgrade to an R2 to get a frilled neck lizard.
So all you have to do is do a handling course and get referrals?
Thanks!

I didn’t realise that. I just went off of what they had on the website.
Like how you need to keep a bearded dragon for two years until you could upgrade to an R2 to get a frilled neck lizard.
So all you have to do is do a handling course and get referrals?
Thanks!
Yup, exactly

As far as I am aware, it is illegal to feed live food unless the animals life depends on it and they won't take thawed food, and then you need a permit. It isn't in any of the herp related sites, it's under cruelty to Animal laws.

As far as I am aware, it is illegal to feed live food unless the animals life depends on it and they won't take thawed food, and then you need a permit. It isn't in any of the herp related sites, it's under cruelty to Animal laws.
See above my link. It is the Qld (obviously if you are not from qld review your states act). Captive Reptile and Amphibian Husbandry Nature Conservation Act 1992. The rules in there are better to follow than guesswork ;)

Latest posts

Back