Lighting for Stimson's Python in 90X45X60.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sL4sha

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to setup a forever home for my 15 Month old Wheat Belt Stimson's Python, ill only be using the x2 light fixtures in the middle opposed to the x4 usable along the entire light array.
I have a ExoTerra 26W Natural Light 6700K UVA CFL & an ExoTerra 26W 150 UVB CFL (UVB 10.0) i plan to use on a 12/12 timer.

At 50-60CM the Box says a UVB rating of 6-5 then factor in the ~40% reduction going through SS Mesh will this be too much UVB for my Stimson's?
I know Pythons they don't necessarily need UVB but it has been shown to increase Immune System, Colouration & Activity + they receive a good smack of UVB in their natural environment so why not try to replicate that?

1648091242828.png
1648092489439.png

I don't know why pet shops continue to sell crap like this.. Oh yes I do ,It's about making money. Glass enclosures are ****e because they don't hold heat and all the heat generated goes out through the mesh as heat rises .
Yes you are right in that UV is good for reptiles, I provide it for all my reptiles . But the mesh cuts up to 80% of UV so the UV lamp really needs to be mounted INSIDE the enclosure. I notice you have 2 UV lamps but no heat lamp ? A small heat mat isn't really a replacement . I have 5 Antaresia species and they all like to bask under the heat lamp

I don't know why pet shops continue to sell crap like this.. Oh yes I do ,It's about making money. Glass enclosures are ****e because they don't hold heat and all the heat generated goes out through the mesh as heat rises .
Yes you are right in that UV is good for reptiles, I provide it for all my reptiles . But the mesh cuts up to 80% of UV so the UV lamp really needs to be mounted INSIDE the enclosure. I notice you have 2 UV lamps but no heat lamp ? A small heat mat isn't really a replacement . I have 5 Antaresia species and they all like to bask under the heat lamp
Thanks, so what type of heat lamp would you recommend for this enclosure? ill run it in combination with the heat mat and hopefully help with the heating issue.
So the UVB light should be all good then especially seeing the majority is being cut off from the mesh?

Thanks, so what type of heat lamp would you recommend for this enclosure? ill run it in combination with the heat mat and hopefully help with the heating issue.
So the UVB light should be all good then especially seeing the majority is being cut off from the mesh?
A 40W should be enough to get the heat up around 30C , I buy Philips brand spot lamps from Bunnings, $7 for 2 , not $40 each from pet shop

Cheers bro, so I brought a “25W daylight heat light” before I send your post and running during the 12 hr day cycle along side the UVA & UVB lamps & heat mat on hot side.

Seems to do the trick, when this dies I’ll def take A Bunnings trip instead of a pet store trip hahaha

Attachments

• 52BC2B24-C68B-43B1-BA9C-92CC3CEE2BD1.jpeg
    52BC2B24-C68B-43B1-BA9C-92CC3CEE2BD1.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 11
  • 425DE5D8-B4B1-4BD2-9E41-A899410EB4B5.jpeg
    425DE5D8-B4B1-4BD2-9E41-A899410EB4B5.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 10
Just a suggestion, find one or a couple of natural tree branches / sticks that will fit diagonally across the depth of the viv, just something for your little python to perch upon thus allowing it to find the perfect temp gradient within the space and it will also create natural environment enrichment and it will also use this little jungle gym arrangement during the shedding process, firstly by rubbing itself against the branch to initiate the shed then using them to help pull the old slough free.

Just a suggestion, find one or a couple of natural tree branches / sticks that will fit diagonally across the depth of the viv, just something for your little python to perch upon thus allowing it to find the perfect temp gradient within the space and it will also create natural environment enrichment and it will also use this little jungle gym arrangement during the shedding process, firstly by rubbing itself against the branch to initiate the shed then using them to help pull the old slough free.
Yea for sure He keeps climbing up the background and can’t get down..

Attachments

• 3FBCC7EC-E9DB-483D-B988-A6937EDC79FA.jpeg
    3FBCC7EC-E9DB-483D-B988-A6937EDC79FA.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 13
Cheers bro, so I brought a “25W daylight heat light” before I send your post and running during the 12 hr day cycle along side the UVA & UVB lamps & heat mat on hot side.

Seems to do the trick, when this dies I’ll def take A Bunnings trip instead of a pet store trip hahaha
Is 25w really creating a suitable hotspot whilst setup like that? Ive never seen a setup like that with the light sideways above the enclosure :eek:

Latest posts

Back