li'l dragons not eating :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
I have 2 Pogona minor minors (Perth W.A. lizards). They are just over 3 months old so they are still very tiny.
They have the correct lighting and heating (basking temp on 32 as they are still babies). But they just dont seem to want to eat. The one eats a little better than the other. But the other little dragon just wont give it a go. So now the one that is eating a little is a lot larger than the other.
I have consulted the seller/breeder and he advised me that my set-up is perfect.

Does anyone have any tips on getting them a little more excited when food is presented?

I put them in a tub of crix and they just ignore them. Or panic and run up the sides of the tub trying to get out.

I fear if they dont start eating soon, they will either die or develop health issues from malnutrition :(

I'd suggest upping that basking temp. Whilst I'm not as familiar with the species of dragon u have I was under the impression that most dragons bask at around 40 give or take a degree or 2.

How about trying some greens as well - bok choy, snow pea sprouts, grated carrot, apple puree, grated pumpkin. Spruce up the veges a bit and don't forget their calcium and multi-vitamin requirements.

Also try separating the littly from the biggy as sometimes they stress due to the big bro/sis's presence.

Are they shy? do they come out and stay out in view when you are around?
It sounds like they are stressed.
How big an enclosure?
Do they have separate hides?

Hi Stimi-Love - your basking site is too cool. You can easily let your basking light sit at 40 or so, and they will self select a temp gradient.
They are light loving critters - UVA/UVB is essential also in their digestion.
I find that all except pin head crickets are too big for these guys, and impaction may result.

try getting a Mercury vapour bulb depending on the cage of course but it gets my Basking spot to 45 and mine are happy

ok, i have bumped the temp up to 38 and will keep an eye on them.
Answering all the above questions...
They get greens and vegies etc. The tank is 3 ft by 2 ft (very large compared to their tiny size) so they can get away from high temps no worries. They have hides and logs and fake grasses to hide in. They are always on display and dont appear to be shy. I can hold them with ease. The crix they are on are pin heads (in perth they are called "tiny") but are only about 2mm long. And lastly, they are sisters and get along so well that i didn't think they needed seperating. They are always together and have never shown agression. I find if i seperate them, they show signs of stress. When together they are very calm.

Seems everyone is in agreence of putting the temps up - so hopefully i will see some improvement in a few days. Thanks guys :)

try getting a Mercury vapour bulb depending on the cage of course but it gets my Basking spot to 45 and mine are happy

i have one of those for my shingleback. I think they are a bit too powerful for the baby dragons - however, i think i might get them one once they reach adulthood. My bobby loves his :)

Pogona minor minor is commonly kept in pairs or many more i wouldnt worry about that.

i would up the food size though depending it should be the size between their eyes and if it was sold to you that means it was 3 months old and it should be eating larger.

i dont see a reason why the MVB would be to strong as long as it is a correct distance from the Basking spot and i still think you should up the temp.

their temp is now on 39 degrees. What i have notised is they are both under the heat lamp with their little heads raised up along with their tails. They look very alert. Normally they just "splat" on the branch below. Does this mean anything??

View attachment 244953

Last edited:
It means that they are loving the increased temps I think and now they know where the nice hot area is they are also basking in a nice amount of uv light .... I really think you'll continue to see great improvement from here :) good luck! And can we please have piccies!!?? :) would love to see these rare guys!

i have some little beardies, and they're a pair of sooks around crickets sometimes! what i would do is have a separate click clack or plastic container and put 2 or 3 pinhead (or small) crickets in at a time, and then put your beardies in. they might be more inclined to eat if they don't feel overwhelmed by the crix. Only now that mine are older will they eat if i put them into the tub the crickets live in. if you're still having trouble or they won't eat straight away, do what i just mentioned, but leave the room for 5 or 10 minutes (making sure your beardies and the crickets can't get out of the tub). Sometime young beardies can be a bit shy about eating in front of mum or dad! You might come back and find the crickets gone.

And don't worry, once they get older they'll become a lot easier to feed =)

Pogona minor minor is commonly kept in pairs or many more i wouldnt worry about that.

i would up the food size though depending it should be the size between their eyes and if it was sold to you that means it was 3 months old and it should be eating larger.

i dont see a reason why the MVB would be to strong as long as it is a correct distance from the Basking spot and i still think you should up the temp.

What sinners said. I have a Megaray 100w MVB firing directly down but have a minimum 12 inches - 30 centimetres distance.

Not sure about the pin head crix.....mine r 6 weeks and smashing down small size. They aren't silly when it comes to munching on the crix....if they r too big they normally have 2-3 cracks at it.

Ive fed my beardies food that some would say is too large they have never had a problem it just takes them a little more munching. it might also help to dust the crickets as they will stand out more depending on the substrate (i use red desert sand wet and dried to an extremely hard state)
it might also be an idea to feed them in the enclosure just remove the furnishings, it works for me :)

people in this thread seem to be pretty spot on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back