Lizard Identification please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chefsusan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We have recently put in a new garden at our place in the Central Wheatbelt of Western Australia, Koorda to be exact. And this little guy has made the new garden his home. I was wondering if anyone could identify him please?

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

Hi,

This is a species of dragon from the Ctenophorus genus. I believe it is Ctenophorus scutulatus commonly known as the Lozenge Marked Dragon. I have only ever seen a couple of these in my 30 odd years of being a dragon enthusiast. My brother worked for several months at one of the mines around Sandstone 25 -30 years ago and he came across a few of them during his time there and on the roads during the early part of the trip from Sandstone back to Perth, which he did 3 or 4 times whilst he worked at Sandstone. It is a beautiful dragon and you are very lucky to have these resident in your garden. Look after them and don't let cats or other feral animals get to them. The black bars across the nape of the neck and shoulders as well as the doughnut shaped circular markings with the white bar through them are 2 of the indicators as to species. The white bars transversing the base of the tail and the wide dorso lateral pale stripe running from the neck to the base of the tail are further indicators of species identification.

Good luck looking after them

Cheers

Mark Hawker

PS, Thanks for posting your inquiry, it was a pleasure and a real thrill to see one of these dragons again

Hi,

This is a species of dragon from the Ctenophorus genus. I believe it is Ctenophorus scutulatus commonly known as the Lozenge Marked Dragon. I have only ever seen a couple of these in my 30 odd years of being a dragon enthusiast. My brother worked for several months at one of the mines around Sandstone 25 -30 years ago and he came across a few of them during his time there and on the roads during the early part of the trip from Sandstone back to Perth, which he did 3 or 4 times whilst he worked at Sandstone. It is a beautiful dragon and you are very lucky to have these resident in your garden. Look after them and don't let cats or other feral animals get to them. The black bars across the nape of the neck and shoulders as well as the doughnut shaped circular markings with the white bar through them are 2 of the indicators as to species. The white bars transversing the base of the tail and the wide dorso lateral pale stripe running from the neck to the base of the tail are further indicators of species identification.

Good luck looking after them

Cheers

Mark Hawker

PS, Thanks for posting your inquiry, it was a pleasure and a real thrill to see one of these dragons again
[doublepost=1546605460,1546605226][/doublepost]Hello Mark,

Thank you so much for answering my query, im thrilled to bits he has been identified. I will do my best to keep preditors away, he is such a beautiful creature & not shy, he lets me get very close to him. Cheers once again, greatly appreciated.

Regards
Susan Trigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back