Look but don't touch - Need Help Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CandiJane

Reaction score
I have a quick (although slightly noob) question. I have had my little albino darwin for approx. 5 months now (my first snake) and love her to bits. But every time I try and touch her, let alone hold her, she squirms so much that I'm afraid she'll get too stressed or worse, hurt herself. She's never had any issues with feeding or anything, and doesn't seem to strike at me. She just seems really nervous about being touched, yet is ok with being 'hooked' out of her enclosure. I really want her to get used to being held. What is the best way to do this? Or should I just give up and consider her a 'look but don't touch' snake? :cry:

How often do you hold her and how old is she? I was told when I first got my snake, to handle for around 10-15minutes a night and after a few days take a break and do this for a few weeks to help build the snakes 'trust' in a way so they are not so nervous when being held, they tend to get used to smells and become more comfortable in time :)

Couple of thoughts. Before picking her up let her smell you for a few secs. Be confident when picking up and handling and a little trick ive been doing....not sure if there is merit to it but..... I run my hands under warm water before handling they seem to prefer it to being handled by cold hands. My two cents worth. Good luck.

I have a quick (although slightly noob) question. I have had my little albino darwin for approx. 5 months now (my first snake) and love her to bits. But every time I try and touch her, let alone hold her, she squirms so much that I'm afraid she'll get too stressed or worse, hurt herself. She's never had any issues with feeding or anything, and doesn't seem to strike at me. She just seems really nervous about being touched, yet is ok with being 'hooked' out of her enclosure. I really want her to get used to being held. What is the best way to do this? Or should I just give up and consider her a 'look but don't touch' snake? :cry:
If she's not biting then short handling sessions will get her more confident with u... I would also probably say out off all my snakes my albino would probably be the most nervous when I first get her it... She seems very sensitive to touch... But handle great when out.... I wouldn't be to worried

Thanks guys. She's about 6mths old now I think. Problem is that every time I try and get her out of her enclosure she squirms away and wraps around her tree branch that I can't get her out at all then. I've only managed to get her out a few times to clean her enclosure and I find the only way I can do it quickly is with the snake hook. Then as soon as I touch her she goes mental. She seems to be comfortable enough with my scent, as I can stick my hand in her enclosure to spot clean and change the water without any troubles at all. It just seems that she freaks out when touched. I've even tried putting her in a pillowcase and sitting her in my lap when she was little (to get used to my scent) and she seemed to calm right down. But as soon as I touched her through the pillowcase, she squirmed around again, trying to get away.

Just remember that your new snake is a tiny baby and everything bigger is a threat. Calm handling sessions are the go once you have her out - let her slide from hand to hand and try and get her to coil around your fingers or wrist with gentle redirection maybe 5 minutes at a time. Our young ADCP male was the same but after a week or two realised that he was not under attack and settled right down. He once wriggled so hard and fast that he practically jumped out of my hands and fell on the couch - so you're not alone in having a nervous baby albino!!! They DO settle once they get used to it! Keep going, short handling periods every few days will soon have her right! Then you'll get years of enjoyment! Cheers, Buzzy

I agree with the responses you've had so far. Most likely a timid baby snake, handling it often and for short periods is your best bet, once it realises you're not a threat it should settle.

One thing we did --and still do with our BHP is open the enclosure and let the snake decide if she wants to come out or not , (Unless its full of poo ) .she calms down very quickly when its under "her "terms . Alice has turned into a very placid snake . We are using the same technique on our coastal .as she Never likes to be taken out but is almost Rocket like when she decides its time to go !! As the snake is coming out just put your hand or arm where it is going and has to use you to come out

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing we did --and still do with our BHP is open the enclosure and let the snake decide if she wants to come out or not , (Unless its full of poo ) .she calms down very quickly when its under "her "terms . Alice has turned into a very placid snake . We are using the same technique on our coastal .as she Never likes to be taken out but is almost Rocket like when she decides its time to go !! As the snake is coming out just put your hand or arm where it is going and has to use you to come out

Thanks. I tried this last night with no luck but I'll give it another go tonight. Suppose I just have to be patiently persistent :)

Success!! She finally handle really well tonight and calmed right down. She didn't even want to go back in her enclosure :D Thanks heaps everyone for your suggestions/tips. Seems 'borntobnude' you were right... I took the lid off her cage, let her come out part way and after a very brief flighty reaction, she was happily curled around my hands.

excellent , by coming out on her own she was just exploring on her own terms and a nice warm tree got in the way . Well Done !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back