Looking for information for first time owner

Help Support AUSSIE PYTHONS:

JacobAsh

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am new here i have spent the better part of my week lurking on these forums as a guest soaking up some of the information and reading some of the great stories on this website i am expecting to receive my licence in the next few weeks fingers crossed ? i am looking to purchase a Darwin carpet python and i feel confident i have the basics on board but i am sure theres still plenty of information i can learn in the meantime so what books would you recommend? and i am hoping someone could help put some other questions to rest.

UVB Lights are these needed? and if so what benefits do they offer? so much conflicting information online o_O
How sensitive are snakes to noise inside the home? i have children and it can get noisy at times
Is it better to buy the size enclosure my snake will grow into or should i buy something and then upgrade later on?
What are your experiences with this breed of snake?
What do you know now you wish you knew before owning a snake?

If theres anything else anyone can think of that i should touch up on or look into please let me know cheers. ?

Harpo

Reaction score
G'day mate, I cannot answer all your questions, but:

People use plastic tubs to grow the snake up until it's big enough for it's permanent enclosure, me included. My few snakes were able to move after about 12-18 months or so.

I have snakes living in the lounge room and they seem to get used to some noise, but we are very mindful of them.

I wish I knew all the local rodent breeders in my district before owning my snakes! ;)

cagey

AussiePythons Supporter
AussiePythons Supporter
Reaction score
I copied this from an earlier post of mine...............

As a newbie I worked through each of the following a 2-3 times before planning my equipment needs and snake purchase:
* Keeping Carpet Pythons by Kortlang and Greem
* Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by Weigel
* Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons (ed Swan)
* fact sheets from people with professional qualifications.

It was good to look for where there was consistency of information. Then I started asking questions on here and other forums ... finally I purchased.

CF Constrictor

Reaction score
Hi JacobAsh
1 thing i wish i knew before owning carpet pythons, is how easy they are to look after if you do it right. They truly are a pleasure to own. ?
The books cagey mentioned have all good info. There is a lot of conflicting info out there probably because there is more than 1 way to do it right. I just soaked up all the info i could find, and let experience teach me the rest. You never stop learning by the way. Good luck.

Benno87

Reaction score
One thing I wish I knew before I started out was to make sure you keep hatchys in a small tub on a heat mat or cord in a dark quiet place for the first year of they’re life with minimal handling(unless it’s a bulletproof feeder). It’s way cheaper to just upgrade tub sizes as it grows until it’s ready for it’s forever home.

CF Constrictor

Reaction score
Hi JacobAsh
1 thing i wish i knew before owning carpet pythons, is how easy they are to look after if you do it right. They truly are a pleasure to own. ?
The books cagey mentioned have all good info. There is a lot of conflicting info out there probably because there is more than 1 way to do it right. I just soaked up all the info i could find, and let experience teach me the rest. You never stop learning by the way. Good luck.
By the way , noise shouldn't bother them, they have no ears. But the vibration created by loud music could?

Herpetology

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
By the way , noise shouldn't bother them, they have no ears. But the vibration created by loud music could?
ive always wondered if having a wall mounted tv would distract the enclosures up against the wall