• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for python breeder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfmonat

Reaction score
Coonabarrabran, New South Wales, Australia, Austra
Hi just recently got my reptile licence back. Now that I will have a actual area that I can have something set up with out having to get permission from real-estate and so on.

I am looking for a Juvenile python have not decided on what I want yet.

But I am looking for a breeder that might be able to organise overnight delivery with the fact that the virus is making it hard to travel to places.

I was thinking about going to Kellyville pets in Sydney. Any help our advice will be much appreciated.

Michael

Do you want a breeder or do you want to buy from Kellyville?

If you're in Sydney, Kellyville is a pretty good shop to go to. I deal with them (as a seller, not a buyer), Ben, the guy who runs the place, is really good. The benefit of a shop is that you can go in to the shop, stare at the snakes for as long as you like, see them in the flesh before deciding, etc. The drawback is that you'll pay more for the snake (they have overheads to cover, etc etc, and if they buy from a breeder like me, obviously I can't sell to them for too much less than I can sell it for privately or I'm shooting my own feet, and they have to make a profit on top of their costs and overheads).

The benefit of going to a breeder is that you'll talk directly with the person who produced the animal, you'll probably get a better animal (obviously any seller is more likely to sell their best stuff directly to the end buyer rather than to a middle man), the animal isn't going through the stress of a middle step sales process (it goes directly from the breeder to you without the stress of an extra move, people gawking at it, tapping on the glass, etc etc), and in some cases shops have bad quarantine (they all have animals coming in from a variety of places which carries a risk of quarantine issues, and some shops don't even care about this). You also have the ability to choose a breeder you like, trust, etc, rather than it being from a random lucky dip. I'll definitely say that Kellyville is one of the better shops though, and if you're in Sydney and wanting to go to a shop, that's the one I'd suggest. You'll also get a better price from a private breeder.

You're perfectly able to go to the shop to have a look or buy something. Pets very much count as 'essential'. If Scomo wants to tell us that jigsaw puzzles count as essential, then pets sure as heck are! Buying from private breeders is also easy. I'm in Melbourne but sent several snakes to buyers in Sydney last week (by air freight, not overnight, I sent them in the afternoon and the buyers picked them up a few hours later in Sydney).

Good luck with whatever type of snake you decide to go for and wherever you choose to buy from :)

Absolutely superb advice from Sdaji, you honestly couldn't ask for better advice. Also refreshing to see he hasn't bashed pet shops (as for some reason generally seems to be the APS way) but has chosen to outline their pros and cons perfectly.
If I was to add anything at all it would be to say Kellyville have been in the reptile game for a LONG time. I think their basic keeper classes were happening as far back as 2000/2001.

Pet shops have come a long way. 15 years ago or more I'd also have bashed them in a generalised way, because almost all of them were operating unethically, to the detriment of animals and customers. There are certainly still some out there which are just as bad, but these days there are many which do provide a good service and operate ethically. Whether it's selling half dead animals covered in parasites or talking buyers into buying overpriced garbage they don't need, it does still happen and we shouldn't turn a blind eye to it. I think part of the reason they have lifted their game is because we bashed them so much when most of them were so hideous. But praise where it's due, many are now doing the right thing.

It's certainly a dangerous game going to shops because of the bad operators, but if you go to a good one such as Kellyville you should do okay. Hey, there are plenty of bad private sellers around too; it's always a game of buyer beware. For me personally it would be crazy to buy from a shop, because I have been around for decades, have contacts, know what I'm doing, don't need to spend hours staring at snakes in a shop, I've worked with most groups of Australian reptiles (including every python other than Oenpelli), it's just not relevant for someone like me, and it doesn't really suit my personality type to go through a commercial route, I'd rather take the initiative to find individual enthusiasts to interact with, but there are plenty of different people in this world and many would prefer to pay a bit extra to have someone spoon feed them, and it's great that shops provide that service for those wanting to get into the hobby through that route, which is why these days I'm happy to deal with the good ones.

I can still totally understand why people bash shops, and in many ways it's deserved, but it's important to recognise that good shops do now exist and provide a service which helps our community. If they do the wrong thing, hey, bash away.

Yup, If you do go to KVpets, try and find Ben :) very nice and knowledgeable guy

Sadly Ian about 6hrs from Sydney at this stage. Kellyville is in part of the got spots in Sydney. That's why I am looking for a breeder that might be able to overnight to me. Been trying to get on to snake ranch but have not had any response to my messagers
Snake ranch has imploded mate, their snakes have gone to very private breeders

RIP pied stimmies :(

Sadly Ian about 6hrs from Sydney at this stage. Kellyville is in part of the got spots in Sydney. That's why I am looking for a breeder that might be able to overnight to me. Been trying to get on to snake ranch but have not had any response to my messagers

The emphasis on Kellyville in the subsequent replies was because you mentioned it in the OP. "6hrs from Sydney" isn't very specific, if you could narrow down your general location perhaps a breeder close by may chime in. Not sure if @Yellowtail is in a position to help or not?

You should still be able to buy from Kellville, they’d be happy to freight a snake up to you I’d imagine, providing you worked in with them on all the paperwork. You’ll have to do that with a breeder anyway, just consider Kellyville to be another breeder.
If you buy from them, you’ll get a guarantee from them that the snake has been looked after, is in good health, doesn’t have any obvious or known defects, is feeding well, has likely shed at least once, isn’t stressed and comes from a reputable dealer. A warranty, of sorts. Their reputation won’t allow them to sell you dodgy snakes and I’d be surprised if anyone on here has heard of a bad snake coming out of there. I’ve bought one from there myself years ago and it’s been a great python to own.

just give them a ring, talk with Ben, and he’ll set you up with the type of snake you think you’d be happy with. Walking in and looking at them will only make you select a snake whose colour you like anyway, let Ben talk you through different pythons and I’m sure he’ll help you make the best decision on what to get. Personally I’d be looking at a Murray Darling or a Bredli for your first snake, as they’re good feeders, poopers and shedders and virtually indestructible for newbies.

Latest posts

Back