Magic Bullet..re-Mites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Recently watched a doco on Animal Planet where a Burmese python was taken to a vet for mite treatment and they had an intra muscular injection i'm sure it was that wipes out mite in one injection on the snake.Has anyone else heard about this it would be great to have something like this seeing as TOD is quite expensive and the old orange medic isn't available.

Surely there has to be enough demand for something like this and found it quite interesting just hopeless at google :eek: and would like to know if anyone else feels the need for something like this seeing as mite is quite common and can carry disease, in my opinion i think we really need some more advanced veterenary techniques being used as is abroad.

Would anyone have some information relating to this,it was called the Magic Bullet?Having just knocked mites on the head recently i hope i never see one ever again,now all we need is something the same for toads :evil:

Anyones :?: thoughts on this i think would be great,cheers

TOD does a great job, Orange always had a risk asociated with it. Don't see the need for another treatment, especially one which breaks the skin, for something as simple as mites. JMO

The active drug in TOD is the same as in orange medic,- permetherin, which is a synthic form of pyrethin thats found in some plants. The latter is a lot more toxic thou. I personally have never had a prob with orange medic even with juvs, and the risk would be the same in both.
Yes I belive the drug they inject for mite is ivermectin, as nuthn said a nasty drug with a very small margin for error. Not the best choice for anything except 1 type of nematode, I think, thats not that common any way. Hook worm, If I remember correctly.
Rob

Not to harp on about it but what Rob said.
Orange medic isnt available anymore, only the Orange Medic Plus.
I know some people have expressed concern about the Ti Tree oil but I havent had a problem with it.
There are other lice treatments on the market with the same active ingredient as the original Orange Medic but you need to familiarise yourself and look for it.

At $16.50 per can, given how effective it is at treating the whole collection I don't think that TOD is that expensive, compared with a vet visit that will cost you many time that for each animal. TOD is also a lot less invasive than other treatments including the Orange Medic approach.

Tea Tree oil is very toxic to reptiles, Im leaning towards this being the problem people have had with orange medic in the past. They just might of used the plus instead of the normal.?
Rob

As I said,I have had no problem with "Orange Medic Plus" BUT I will qualify that by saying I take great care when using it and I dont treat juveniles or younger with it.

As said above and not having seen the Doco, my *guess* is that the injection would be Ivermectin. This is widely used in domestic animals for worm/mite/fleas. However, it can be risky and the only way to tell if it will harm your animal is by giving it, and then it is too late.

I have a cat that reacted badly to it and the resulting complications caused deafness. I guess I am just lucky she survived. I will never touch it again.

Clayton Knight in Deception Bay (QLD) put me onto Permoxin. This is a liquid spray and rinse concentrate that he uses on his snakes and I now use on mine. At $14 for a 250ml bottle that makes up to 10litres of liquid spray, financially, it is a boon. The bottle comes with a handy measure that allows you to mix 10ml to 400ml's. Once mixed, the product is stable and can be stored in a spray bottle for later squirts if need be.

Claytons suggested use was to make up a bucket, dip the snakes, rinse them after in fresh water. Spray the cages thoroughly, let sit for 10mins or so, then rinse and wipe dry. I also then spray the floors, carpets etc. As this is a contact killer and acts immediately, there is no need to leave the product on cages or snakes, so there is no nasty residue to worry about later. No nasty smell either.

I did two applications when I got it, one to take care of the active mites at the time and a follow up a week later just to be sure.

It is available from Vet clinics and Produce stores, I haven't seen it in pet shops.

Edit Note:- Active constituents: 40g/L Permethrin 25:75 (cis:trans)

I have emailed some UK colleagues and asked them what it is and its pros and cons. I'll let you know their response.

Ditto Dan, I little success with the Hypoaspis sp. mites and no ongoing success. To the point where I have closed down my outside lizard enclosure for the forseeable future.

peterescue, get some Permoxin (see my post above), mix the lot in a pressure sprayer with wand on a fine mist ($5 - $9 from Bunnings) and spray the outdoor enclosure and surrounding areas/trees/bushes etc. Repeat this in a week or so. Don't rinse.

For 2 bottles of Permoxin, $28, it is worth a shot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back