Making Screen tops for Fish Tanks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laghairt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have a good methiod for making screen tops for standard fish tanks? It would need to fit the lid exactly to prevent any woodies escaping. I've thought of using perspex but I'm sure there are better methods out there that would make mounting a MVB easier.

I guess the alternative would be to buy a hood and seal it up.

Any ideas??

Rondo​

If your only using it for woodies use fluon around the top or a smear of vegi oil.

Thanks.

I don't want to use Fluon as it will look ugly.

Roaches are not really a display animal lol.

I'm thinking perhaps they mean when they feed a lizard so they can't escape :p perhaps I'm wrong though

In the past I made up flyscreen tops in exactly the same way I'd make a flyscreen door, just scaled down. To save money get a council clean up screen door and cut it down in size and then all you need to do is renew the screen

I use crim safe mesh. My nephew brings home offcuts from work. Or I send him to off with specific measurements ;D

I have modified fish tank hoods by filling all the gaps in the edges which contact the top of the glass and replace some of the lid with framed screen for better ventilation.
For some I have made hoods with screen lids from scratch.
This is some of the simple stuff on two foot tanks.
two foot basic lid.jpgtwo foot basic lid open.jpgwaterskink-twofoot.jpg
First off the back section was just held down by the weight of the lights and a small piece of wood was bonded to the glass at the front to take a clasp.
Later I glued a wood frame around the top sides and back of the tank and screwed the back screen to the frame.
When I make a hood style, the frame is around all sides with a lip edge sitting on the top of the glass. I make them a tight fit but still removable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back