Maybe I can Change your Minds...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
I felt saddened to see so many people against cats and wanting to harm them in the scrub caught the cat thread. For no reason other than an animal wandering about, people have formed opinions about these animals that are either untrue or unjust.

So I'm just posting some photos of my own cat. Hopefully those who don't have the murderous desire against these animals will appreciate these. If you too have a cat, feel free to share photos as well.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 30-08-13 015.jpg
    30-08-13 015.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 18-08-2013 023.jpg
    18-08-2013 023.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 441
Nice looking kitty. I agree I own 2 cats and adore them. The people on here that get on the 'a good cats a dead cat' band wagon are idiots. I mean don't we all hate the 'a good snake is a dead snake' train of thought? But cats are different somehow? Pfft. Cats are awesome, as are all animals.

I'm not a cat person, but have no problems with pet cats, as long as their owners are responsible (kept in at night, wear a bell, desexed, etc.)

Desexed is something any responsible cat owner does. Avoids disease and, uhh, discomfort. Our cat is indoors. I've seen countless cats run over, and I wish to avoid that, so indoors it is. Bells aren't for all cats (mine hates them. She won't move with them on), but they definitely help. But it isn't a problem for us because she is an indoor.

Thank you for your replies. Ironmind, I completely agree. Not everyone has to like them. I like cats and dogs. But people who hate cats for no reason are idiots. I see nothing wrong with simply not liking them, so long as you don't talk crap about them without any knowledge of their habits.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450172947.330400.jpg
These are my 2 cats in the cat run I built them. They are indoor cats with access to their cat run during day light only. I would never let them them be out door cats. I would love it if all cat owners had to confine their cats to cat runs or indoors.

My sisters ragdoll. Such a cuddly cutie and She is afraid of my birds. She likes watching my lizards in while they're in their enclosure but freaks out when they aren't... Hasn't seen my snake yet...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 387
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 384
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 396
you love cats, you've got cats, your doing the right thing by keeping them indoors. Great.
As an animal lover and a conservationist, gee I'm glad the african civet hasn't been allowed in.

you love cats, you've got cats, your doing the right thing by keeping them indoors. Great.
As an animal lover and a conservationist, gee I'm glad the african civet hasn't been allowed in.

There were people trying to get it in the country?

Yep. funny really, a few years ago when there was a stronger yet mind you, divided and argumentative community on this forum a partition came on because the cat lovers of australia were lobbying the government to change the laws to allow them in. They were saying crap like, they will ALL be desexed, they will never get into the wild blah blah blah
and many people here signed that petition against them and we won. the govt said no deal.

It was believed that if the civet got feral, it would be able to take a larger sized prey item so start saying your goodbyes to small macropod species, wombats etc. So then we would have had other larger native species exposed to extinction.

Last edited:
I'm not a cat person, but have no problems with pet cats, as long as their owners are responsible (kept in at night, wear a bell, desexed, etc.)

Ummm , you do realise that cats also hunt and maime and kill during the day too, not only at night ,and most cat owners let puss roam 24/7 and it only comes inside for cuddles , a visit, and maybe a feed .... right.
Most cat owners work during the day, guess where puss is, out hunting and killing anything it can catch (usually for the fun of it because they are certainly not hunting to eat).

Cat's must not be allowed outside to roam and hunt and kill at any time of the day or night.

Good to see some RESPONSIBLE cat owners who prevent their cat from having access to wildlife. Unfortunately you are in a very small minority.

Laws regarding cat ownership and restrictions on cats are way too loose and not tough enough, nor are fines (if they are imposed) on IRRESPONSIBLE cat owners who unlucky enough to come to the attention of the authorities - that's my opinion and I wont be changing it.

Cats along with other non natives are NOT the problem.
Irresponsible owners are the issue at hand & there are plenty of those involved in our own hobby as sad as it might be.

I'm no cat lover but can appreciate that there are people who want to keep cats & enjoy their behaviors.
These animals get the blame for doing what to them is natural when they are allowed to mix with native wildlife thanks to the people who claim to be animal lovers who let them roam free.

My sisters ragdoll. Such a cuddly cutie and She is afraid of my birds. She likes watching my lizards in while they're in their enclosure but freaks out when they aren't... Hasn't seen my snake yet...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Hope your friend keeps the bird in a cage in a room the cat has no access to when not home, and supervises puss closely when puss has access to the bird cage, be warned cats can and have killed birds who were in caged by hooking them through the wire and tearing them to shreds.

- - - Updated - - -

Cats along with other non natives are NOT the problem.
Irresponsible owners are the issue at hand & there are plenty of those involved in our own hobby as sad as it might be.

I'm no cat lover but can appreciate that there are people who want to keep cats & enjoy their behaviors.
These animals get the blame for doing what to them is natural when they are allowed to mix with native wildlife thanks to the people who claim to be animal lovers who let them roam free.

Cats are uncontrollable and are an introduced apex predator. Idiot (irresponsible) cat owners only enable them by letting them roam 24/7 and all these cats (loved pets, strays, ferals) all do what they are hardwired to do (hunt and kill when ever the opportunity presents itself).

attachment.php
Hope your friend keeps the bird in a cage in a room the cat has no access to when not home, and supervises puss closely when puss has access to the bird cage, be warned cats can and have killed birds who were in caged by hooking them through the wire and tearing them to shreds.
Yes both the birds and the cat get put away when no ones home. The cat is only allowed out in the lounge room and kitchen where the birds aren't meant to go when they're out anyway and their cages are up the other end of the house.
i made sure all my babies would be safe before letting my sister get a cat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Thanks for all these replies guys. It's good to see not everyone talks of cats like vermin.
[MENTION=34464]princessparrot[/MENTION], he/she is beautiful. I love ragdolls and think they are a great ambassador for the species.
[MENTION=10492]jase75[/MENTION], great solution to the problem. Runs let the cat have access to the outside, while not allowing it to harm the wildlife.

I look forward to seeing your future replies,
Herpo

What I find funny is the same people who think the greater community should be allowed to own cats responsibly are the same one's that would oppose the keeping of exotic reptiles even though they posses far less of a risk to our ecosystem.

While everyone is getting all warm and fuzzy over domestic cats just remember they are the sole reason Tasmanian devils haven't been released back on the mainland, we have essentially chosen an animal that has brought horrible devastation to our ecosystem that has no real use over a native species which is on the brink of extinction.
Quite honestly, I find that rather arrogant and selfish. People's want of an animal that craps in a box shouldn't trump the need of a native species, ban them and let's move on.

What I find funny is the same people who think the greater community should be allowed to own cats responsibly are the same one's that would oppose the keeping of exotic reptiles even though they posses far less of a risk to our ecosystem.

While everyone is getting all warm and fuzzy over domestic cats just remember they are the sole reason Tasmanian devils haven't been released back on the mainland, we have essentially chosen an animal that has brought horrible devastation to our ecosystem that has no real use over a native species which is on the brink of extinction.
Quite honestly, I find that rather arrogant and selfish. People's want of an animal that craps in a box shouldn't trump the need of a native species, ban them and let's move on.

Something in what you say and to an extent I agree.

That said, I am totally opposed to amateur keepers and breeders having access to any introduced / non indigenous reptiles or other critters or animals and support the carpet ban on their importation into Australia. We have way too many introduced animals in this country already , all of which are problem when they escape, or are released.
We don't want the open slather they have in the USA.

Last edited:
Hiram (and others) there is a difference between domestic cats and feral cats. Most cat haters don't recognize the difference nor they see the different approach needed to solve the problems with feral cats, they just don't see the bigger picture. The domestic cat problem can be easily sorted out - if our politicians had the balls. Microchipping and registering cats is by no means effective measure, just like shooting feral cats doesn't put a dent into the populations. But many cat haters and shooters bash their chests and trumpet "I am an environmentalist"...... makes them feel good.

And here I was hoping to see a cat thread without cat hate...

If anyone's going to really get their back up about the existence of cats and/or dogs in this country, well, buy a plane ticket and head off back to the old world. You don't really belong here either, introduced vermin; wrecking the ecosystem, levelling forests to build artificial shelter and make room for your introduced dinner to graze. Please.

Hiram (and others) there is a difference between domestic cats and feral cats. Most cat haters don't recognize the difference nor they see the different approach needed to solve the problems with feral cats, they just don't see the bigger picture. The domestic cat problem can be easily sorted out - if our politicians had the balls. Microchipping and registering cats is by no means effective measure, just like shooting feral cats doesn't put a dent into the populations. But many cat haters and shooters bash their chests and trumpet "I am an environmentalist"...... makes them feel good.

Give us a break , that's a load of rubbish.

The only difference between feral cats and domestic cats is ferals have no human contact and have not learnt to associate people with food , that's the only difference , exactly the same animal , same instincts ,and when no one is around , same behaviours , all cats are killers.

Whatever you say cat hater, waste of time reasoning with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back