Mess of a Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaetor

Reaction score
A few months ago a bought a snake off a breeder. More than anything, I bought it to save the poor girl from living in a shoe box size bin that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since she was born. Anyways, as far as I know she's never had a full shed and I've tried a lot of things to help that but nothing seems to be working. I always have to peel pieces off of her until its all off because she can't do it herself. I feel like it stresses her out pretty badly though... Today I found two small spots that kinda look like scale rot. I figure its because I've upped her cage humidity to combat the shedding problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I clean her cage regularly. Shes not the most friendly snake so she gets stressed easily (she's both hissed and struck at me outside of regular feeding times). I guess my question is, how do I combat her stuck shed and fix the possible scale rot and prevent it in the future?

Not going to comment on disease as that's another kettle of fish and something not wanting to get into. As for shed, might not be best some might disagree with me but I've found it works really well. I keep my humidity constant or there about for all species some higher some lower. Once I see signs of pre shed stage before the eyes change. I'll up humidity of the enclosure, snakes in wild will actively seek higher when they're in shed so basically replicating it. My albino I need to soak I give a soak in tub and all is usually good. One tip I have been told when helping a friend who used to show of foreign exotics as part of a wildlife show. Soaked them in water after they shed with a sponge to help them remove it of they didn't get it all.

I've touch wood never had any issues with my snakes with diseases due to moisture etc. Mainly due to way I keep them I think. I try to keep them as close to natural way possible. Anyone else can put there two cents in if they disagree with how I do it but I've had success

Hi Veator
hopfuly the animal has found i GOOD home now , best of luck. Some more info about it would help. To much constant humidity could be detrimental to its health , i would learn to look for signs of pre shed for example looking darker or duller in color , becoming very reclusive and milky eyes . One of my coastals belly go's salmon in color pre shed. Then make sure it has a water bowl big enough to soak in and then raise the humidity . I use a spray bottle and mist there enclosures once a day when mine are at this stage. They also need something rough to rub against some rocks or sticks maybe and you can soak it in warm water for a while , make sure its not to warm about 28C is fine. Occasionally 1 of mine will leave some old skin on the tip of the tail but its always easily removed with a wet cloth. Try to make sure both eye caps have been shed afterwood also. I would strongly suggest taking it to a Vet familiar with reptiles for a check up. Cheers

Not much information to work with here, not enough to be helpful. Species? Age? Size? Substrate? Heating type and temperatures?

For most species in most cases, if you have scale rot you want to dry it out (except during sloughing), keep it clean and keep it warm.

my.snake had a.fear.of his $$ pet shop water bowl . i think the plastic may.have.had a bad odour he hated so i replaced it with a pot plant saucer now.he goes for swim in it if he feels.like it .
just heat pad under half my hide .

couple of hammocks
one above.warm part
one.above.cool part

Attachments

• 20220305_165138.jpg
    20220305_165138.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back