Missing Snake!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X_Belle_X

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice regarding escaped snakes? My hatchling Stimsons has somehow managed to escape his enclosure (I’m honestly at a loss as to how other than I mustn’t have put the lid on properly). I’m pretty devastated as he was my first snake and i love him. I’m pretty sure he’s still in the room I keep them in as I keep it closed off,his enclosure was also up on a desk so I assume he’s most likely just found a place nearby to hide. He’s just so small and I can’t really tear the room apart looking. I’ve put down hides, shoe boxes etc. with his food scent in them, as well as water bowls and I’ve left his enclosure open in case he goes back to it. Is there anything else I can do?

Firstly are you 100% sure he's not in the enclosure, if you can't find anyway for him to have gotten out he may still be hiding in there, my little guy wedged himself behind the background (no idea how he managed it never could work it out and he hasn't done it since) and he also managed to get between fake plant pot and the fake soil in it (had cut him out of that one and the next one I got fill all edges of the plant base and pot edges with silicone) but both times thought he'd 'gotten out' but knew he couldn't of and just took a long time carefully going over every cm of enclosure to work out where he was. I would recommend going through it all again and quadruple checking it all.

Firstly are you 100% sure he's not in the enclosure, if you can't find anyway for him to have gotten out he may still be hiding in there, my little guy wedged himself behind the background (no idea how he managed it never could work it out and he hasn't done it since) and he also managed to get between fake plant pot and the fake soil in it (had cut him out of that one and the next one I got fill all edges of the plant base and pot edges with silicone) but both times thought he'd 'gotten out' but knew he couldn't of and just took a long time carefully going over every cm of enclosure to work out where he was. I would recommend going through it all again and quadruple checking it all.
Thank you for the advice 🥰 I’m pretty sure he’s not in it but I’ll go through it again just to triple check!

One trick I've heard is to put old plastic shopping bags scrunched up in the corners and along the wall/floor of the room. When he starts to move and goes through there - you'll hear rustling sounds and that may help to locate him. Never had to do this myself (thankfully) - just something I picked up hearing once. Not sure how well the new ones will work. The old thin ones would work better and be louder I would have thought.

Another option is to search the warmest parts of the room. (Where there may be a power board, or otherwise nearby). Honestly - I have no experience with this - just throwing some ideas out there. From what I've told, terrestial snakes (such as stympons and as opposed to aboreal) will also normally go 'down' - so on the floor / lowest parts of the room would be where to search. Anything that they can get into as well.

Really hope you manage to find him.

One trick I've heard is to put old plastic shopping bags scrunched up in the corners and along the wall/floor of the room. When he starts to move and goes through there - you'll hear rustling sounds and that may help to locate him. Never had to do this myself (thankfully) - just something I picked up hearing once. Not sure how well the new ones will work. The old thin ones would work better and be louder I would have thought.

Another option is to search the warmest parts of the room. (Where there may be a power board, or otherwise nearby). Honestly - I have no experience with this - just throwing some ideas out there. From what I've told, terrestial snakes (such as stympons and as opposed to aboreal) will also normally go 'down' - so on the floor / lowest parts of the room would be where to search. Anything that they can get into as well.

Really hope you manage to find him.
Thank you so much I’ll definitely try that! I’ve got a few other snakes so it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s gone under their tanks for the warmth. Unfortunately I can’t lift their tanks so I’m just going to have to wait until he decides to come out 🙂

Latest posts

Back