Mites?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwood

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi! i recently noticed lots of small insects which i am guessing are mites all over my angle head dragon enclosure. i’ve taken out all the rotting wood but that hasn’t made a difference. Whenever the dragons are on the ground they get covered by the mites, however it doesn’t seem to bother them? Does anyone have any advice on how to treat this!

First you have to find out where you got the mites from, they dont travel on branches, especially dead branches, Where did u get the animal from?
--------------------------------

you take everything out put it outside, chuck out the substrate,, put the AHD in a large tub

get reptile mite spray - Callington Top of Descent is a good brand
Spray the enclosure down well- getting in every nook and cranny

let it air out for a few hours, return the animal, Use butchers paper for substrate, so you can see any mites,

repeat a few days later, Keep repeating untill you see no more dead mites on the floor

--Take all food/water bowls out before spraying the enclosure. Reptiles can be left in the enclosure if it has good ventilation. Spray thoroughly for 4-5 seconds and spray longer for larger enclosures. Spray the enclosure surrounding area as well. The reptile can be returned to the enclosure immediately after spraying if taken out. Clean out the enclosure and destroy any substrate after spray and old furnishings. Do NOT rinse the enclosure and the reptile after spray. Repeat the above procedure seven days later.--

I will try this thanks!
I purchased the dragons from a home breeder five or so months ago but i didn’t have a issue with mites back then. When i asked my local reptile shop they said that it might be wood mites which is why i assumed it was from the wood (which i sourced from my backyard).

Last edited:
If they are everywhere in tank not just on your lizards they are not blood mites and don't hurt your animals, what color are the mites?

If they are everywhere in tank not just on your lizards they are not blood mites and don't hurt your animals, what color are the mites?
All over the tank, mostly in the damp soil and wood. They are a pale yellow i think? It’s quite hard to tell as they are very small. If they are not harming the dragons is it worth removing them or just let it be!

All over the tank, mostly in the damp soil and wood. They are a pale yellow i think? It’s quite hard to tell as they are very small. If they are not harming the dragons is it worth removing them or just let it be!
pictures? if they arent on your dragon, you dont need to worry, but it'd be a good idea to get rid of them

Sounds like earth mites to me and not harmfull but I would remove the most moist soil or where many are, rotten log and so on

Latest posts

Back