monitor bite problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotrodrob

Not so new Member
Reaction score
As a newbie i am trying to soak up as much info as possible. I have come across quite a few threads concerning python bites, yet I have not found any to do with monitors. Is this because monitor bites are less common, less serious than python bites?

probably because more people have pythons than monitors i think monitor bites would be worse than most python bites thankfully i dont no by first hand experience lol

cause no body wants to get done by a monitor! a small bite from something like an accie is extremely uncomfortable- a bite from a lacey is a disaster that requires lots of medical attention usually. Generally a python bite is over before you know it has happened- a monitor generally hangs on, sometimes for ages.
I got done by an adult accie- he was very large(for an accie) and he held on for over ten minutes before i tried to remove him and it took 10 minutes to get him off.

I'm not sure exactly what you need to know ? Monitor bites can be extremely painful and far more damaging than a python bite, of course depending on the size of the lizard. A bite from a large monitor can leave scars and cause muscle and nerve damage. I guess we don't hear about them often as monitors generally aren't handled in the same way pythons are, they are more of a look but don't touch type of animal :)

Agreed. A python will either bite and let go, or bite and hang on, but a monitor will bite, hang on and usually do its fair share of ripping and tearing in the process. I think only crocodiles and elapids deliver nastier bites...

i have been done by one of my lacies not a good experiance was put in hospital for 2 days not something you really wana go hapen to you :)

I got nicked by a 1.5m lacie today, had to catch up a female to check her out......Bloody hot day = bloody fast lacies. When you have a pit with 5 of them in their, and the run at you if you step in then it get's interesting. While distracting 2 of them to let the other bloke catch up the female, i got a little complacent and had a lacie jump up for some food. I spotted him at the last minute and pulles away but 3 teeth caught me.

Thankfully it wasn't a clamp down or i'd be at the hospital about now and only caught a few teeth but it still bleed like a stuck pig and left a nearly 1/2 centimetre deep gash across the fleshy part of my thumb. Mucho clarat was had, i'm now hoping for it not to get infected.

Python bites = not bad..............Monitor bites = something you don't wanna experience.

dirty monitors and thier bacteria riddled mouthes..lol

i would rather a bite from a big python anyday

I got bitten by a yellow spotted monitor once, it was only about 15cm(sv) at the time though :) it still drew some blood though.

They also have venom which is supposed to make the wound worse too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back