Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakehose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Since getting my second python, I have decided that I would like to get a monitor as my third and final herp until I move out of home. Though it is a tough decision as I don't have a whole lot of knowledge as to which species would be suitable, housing requirements etc.

I would like a few opinons on what is a good monitor for a first, I have been looking at Ackies but think I would like something in the middle of the range for size not requiring an outdoor pit. Any idea's, help, experience would be great.

thanks in advance

Hi,

If I life in Australia I would pay me a V.rosenbergi,V.mitchelli,V.gouldii gouldii,V.gouldii flavirufus,V.semiremex,V.eremius,V.mertensi or V.glebopalma

This are the beautifulst species in Australia.

regards
Jakob

It depends on what licence you have really, v. scalaris or tristis would be in the size range your describing though tristis can be quite flighty and scalaris are on an advanced licence in NSW
I keep scalaris and would recomend them but iv heard ackies can be alot more user friendly if their something you want to play with

I really like the look of the Scalaris, very nice patterning, what housing do you have for adults ?

at the moment mine are still young! I plan to move them into a 4ft x 4ft tank soon and then as they get older I'll have to play it as it comes I cant keep them outside here as winter temps drop too low

as the name suggests, do they spend most of there time climbing ? or do they prefer floorspace over height ?

I have Tristis orientalis, another monitor that would make an excellent first monitor.
Small size = smaller enclosures, less setup cost.
They are a bit flighty, but with a top opening enclosure, it's not that much trouble.
They do calm down after a while once they build up trust

they do like to climb and their very active, mine do spend alot of time on the ground though! I think as they get older height is alot more important for exercise and to keep them entertained, I'd try to match the height with the length of the cage with aboreal monitors as they do need to burn alot of energy

Do you know where I can find all of the relevant information needed? And where is the best place to find them, there aren't a whole lot of monitors for sale by the looks of things....

Last edited:
I picked mine up off the herp classifides it took me a long time to find any availiable (scalaris) pellewensis form I mean) their are a few breeders of scalaris kurunda form around but their still hard to find and pretty pricey too, as for info try to reasearch as much as you can I think there is a varanus forum its not aussie but they have alot of info on our stuff and keep asking questions people with experience are probably your best bet

Varanus tristis / Varanus acanthurus / Varanus scalaris all reasonbly good species to start out with. Despite flight natures of the tristis and scalaris their requirements are easy enough. Ackies are really one of the only few species I'd be keeping if you want to handle these. I've always approached monitor keeping on a look but RARELY touch basis. They are very interesting to keep this way and undergo far less stress - some can be a pain if they are stressed too much.

Monitors require HOT basking temps. Around 50-60 degrees at a bask site is ideal and try to position cage furniture below that to allow basking spots with different temperatures. Small water bowl in the cool end, plenty of hides (hollow logs where they can wedge in are favourites) and plenty of ledges and branches to climb. Fake rocks are excellent for convenience but try to have at least one real rock in the enclosure, probably under the basking area. This will help keep the monitors claws at a reasonable length (not too long) and holds heat for a few hours after lights out if they monitors want to use that.

Monitors are like garbage bins - they eat lots and their rear-end stays just as busy. Keep the cage as clean as possible - remove faeces as soon as it is deposited. This will limit the risk of health complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back