Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pricey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was amazed to see how many people have some really nice pythons out there (on the show us your pythons forum). Obviously a lot less people will have monitors. But I was wondering how many people actually have some. If you've got some monitors or are generally interested in them why not post some pics, tips or general info.

Hey Chanty,

Nice looking monitors. Do you know what locality they are originally from?

An article for all those tristis breeders out there. Activity areas and daily movements of an arboreal monitor lizard, Varanus tristis (Squamata: Varanidae) during the breeding season

Rufy looks fantastic! What kind of Monitor is he?

I'm really interested in monitors, and am looking at getting some later in the year. Can anyone tell me why Storrs are only acquired on a class 2 licence here in NSW? What makes them different to other monitors? I can understand with Lacies, but Storrs are little things.

Also, more pics!

Mertens

Here is a pic of my Mertens before he got huge and i had to trade him. I can't wait to get another once i have more room.

Simone.

The Mertens including the tail was just over 2 ft. He was kep in a 4ft turtle tank that had a big log resting between the two platforms which he use to sunbake on but he spent most of his time in the water. There asn't anything he wouldn't eat. I use to go to my local creek and grab all the gambusia fish and throw them in with him and on occasion he would get soldier crabs. I realised he was too big for the tank when he cut his tail in a feeding frenzy the day i threw a yabby in with him. I felt awful for the yabby cos he was vicious in his attack. He also loved eggs, silkworms, dog food and crickets. He would also get any pinkies that i had left over. He was a year old when i traded him.
I could sit there and watch him for hours. He would often sleep underwaterclinging to a log or he would be standing like Godzilla in the water with just his nostrils out of the water. If you can get one then go for it cos they are fantastic.

Simone.

Simone did he mess the tank up much? I haven't kept monitors but the beardys I had were a messy lot. Did you run a big filter or a lot of water changes?

thats awesome ! ur making me want one now lol (altho i have Always wanted one)
i have a 5x2x2 fish tank thats empty & was reeeeaally thinking of getting a hatcling for it.

do u have any pics of the whole tank settup with him in it ?

would love to see some.

thanks

i keep monitors aswell by far the best species of reptile so much personality ect :) i keep a trio of accies a pair of storrs a single freckled monitor a single goulds monitor and have some storri ocreatus on the way and still wanting more i want spencers more gouldi and flavirufus tristis tristis kingorum and lots more lol will post pics as soon as possible

thanks
nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back