Morelia spilota harrisoni feeding schedule/ feeder size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraftAwakened

Reaction score
Hi all,

My spilota is 70g and I don't know how to jump from pinky rats (now 1 per 5 days ) to something bigger. My idea was to use 15% body weight rule but the next size are rat fuzzies around 15g so not sure if he is ready for the transition. I know I need to jump to something new as he stopped gaining weight but I have contradicting information if it should be 2x pinky rat, already rat fuzzy or a mouse that's in between. Most helpful would be an idea how/when to choose the feeder for coming months.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Going off of petwaves sizes (im currently using them at the moment as they offer decentish sizes for decentish prices)

I would offer adult mice 15-25g range once a week to once a fortnight depending on the size after the first 2 he will probably go into shed from the food size jump and weight gain

h8ZdSYU.png

Is it safe? I mean that would be like 25-30% of his whole mass? Just want to double-check/make sure so far every 'literature' mentioned max 20% but yea I know there is also the lump rule/size of the body but couldn't find any good definition of how to measure that. In other words, it's safe to assume this snake can handle a quite big feeder? Why mouse and not rat?

Is it safe?
100%

I mean that would be like 25-30% of his whole mass?
Yup, when it gets bigger you can offer 40-50% feeds every X months if you want

it's safe to assume this snake can handle a quite big feeder?
yes, dont be fooled

Why mouse and not rat?
Adult mouse is more developed than the equivalent rat size (this is why i always say pinkies arent good unless you're trying to get an antaresia feeding), in this case a big fuzzy/small weaner, would only start feeding rats at small rat size

You should be right moving up to fuzzy rats, snakes jaws and bodies are designed to take whole bodied animals much larger than what they seem. Also fuzzy rats have got a lot of squish in them and will conform easily. You won't have to feed as often 2+ weeks.

Adult mouse is more developed than the equivalent rat size (this is why i always say pinkies arent good unless you're trying to get an antaresia feeding), in this case a big fuzzy/small weaner, would only start feeding rats at small rat size
Only difference is full coat of hair, bigger teeth and nails which offer little to no nutritional value.

Back