Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primo

Reaction score
I am a big fan of comparing certain species of snakes. I have researched infrared/thermal detection between some of the boa constrictors here in the Americas compared to some of the pythons with visible heat pits by reading studies, and I've observed activity levels between my boa and other two pythons and come up with a few limited conclusions based on the captive conditions here at my home.

Getting more to my question here, I'm wondering of the large Aussie pythons; which is generally considered the most active, and intelligent, or maybe more instinctively aware if intelligence can't be measured?

I've long heard that reticulated pythons are possibly the most intelligent and active of the large constrictors, but when that comparison is made, the comparison group is usually Burmese pythons, African rocks, larger boa constrictors and anacondas.

Few people here in the states remember to include the olive pythons (including the Papuan Olive) and the various species of scrub pythons and large coastal carpets. I'm wondering if anybody has seen active foraging, and I guess quicker/busier overall levels of activity.

What I have heard, but not experienced is that scrubs may be very similar to retics in behavior.

I can tell you that my boa constrictor is semi active when hungry and I will find him perching and moving about, but he is nowhere near as active as the coastal mix I own. She moves faster when crawling about. The boa's movements are much more "controlled" and slow. I find the carpet can "take off" when she wants to and sometimes reminds me of some of the diurnal king snakes we have in the states, though not quite as active.

Back on point, of the large Aussie pythons, and you can include the larger coastals here, what would you say is in general the most active, and intelligent of the Aussie pythons and how do you think they compare to the reticulated pythons?

Last edited:
In my experience over a 50-year period, with all species of Australian pythons, I would have to say that Scrubs are by far the most interactive and alert species I have kept. Most Oz python species are inactive during daylight hours, and won't react too much during the day if left undisturbed. But Scrubbies seem to be forever alert, and will follow what you are doing with some interest at any time during the day or night. They seem to be very aware of their surroundings and what's going on around them, and will often come up to the glass when you're working in the same room. This may just be because they're constantly on the lookout for food, or an especially defensive species, rather than plain curiosity, but I think it's one reason they have a bad reputation - they're always ready to deal with anything that comes their way, whether it's food or threat.

I know what you mean about the Boas - I kept a few when I was working at the Museum in Perth, and they are very slow-moving, which makes them the stealth hunters of the snake world. Often the only noticeable pre-strike reaction to being offered food was the dilating of their pupils... and then BAM!

Most, if not all of these constrictors are ambush feeders if given a choice - the element of surprise is important for their own survival (a prey animal which is in fear and therefore ready to fight is a dangerous prospect), so actively foraging for food would be rare. They do however, return to the same place to wait for food, often for weeks until successful, or moving on to another site. Until recently, I had Eclectus Parrots in an aviary close to a thicket of shrubs in the garden, and for 2-3 summers, an Intergrade Python (common here) would hang out of low branches close to ground waiting for rodents. It was obviously good pickings there - I never saw where it went during the day, but it was there most nights from October - March. The Eckies didn't like it much :)! I'm sure that prey encountered when moving around would, however, be considered "fair game" if it could be overcome safely.

I'm not sure about 'intelligence', but in terms of activity and need to explore I'd put the water python at the top. much more likely to be encountered moving around than morelia of similar size.

My olive pythons are more alert and active than any of the other pythons I'm keeping.
When there hungry they're constantly on the move, and respond to the slightest movements.
The Morelia I keep seem to be more sit and wait predators, as are my Anteresia, my woma's will wiggle there tails near there head when hungry though I'm not sure if it's to lure prey or purely excitement.

Last edited:
I got a Big male Bredli that is probably the laziest animal I've ever met, and I have a Water Python that is more active than a 14 year old on FB most of the time...

In my experience over a 50-year period, with all species of Australian pythons, I would have to say that Scrubs are by far the most interactive and alert species I have kept. Most Oz python species are inactive during daylight hours, and won't react too much during the day if left undisturbed. But Scrubbies seem to be forever alert, and will follow what you are doing with some interest at any time during the day or night. They seem to be very aware of their surroundings and what's going on around them, and will often come up to the glass when you're working in the same room. This may just be because they're constantly on the lookout for food, or an especially defensive species, rather than plain curiosity, but I think it's one reason they have a bad reputation - they're always ready to deal with anything that comes their way, whether it's food or threat.

I know what you mean about the Boas - I kept a few when I was working at the Museum in Perth, and they are very slow-moving, which makes them the stealth hunters of the snake world. Often the only noticeable pre-strike reaction to being offered food was the dilating of their pupils... and then BAM!

Most, if not all of these constrictors are ambush feeders if given a choice - the element of surprise is important for their own survival (a prey animal which is in fear and therefore ready to fight is a dangerous prospect), so actively foraging for food would be rare. They do however, return to the same place to wait for food, often for weeks until successful, or moving on to another site. Until recently, I had Eclectus Parrots in an aviary close to a thicket of shrubs in the garden, and for 2-3 summers, an Intergrade Python (common here) would hang out of low branches close to ground waiting for rodents. It was obviously good pickings there - I never saw where it went during the day, but it was there most nights from October - March. The Eckies didn't like it much :)! I'm sure that prey encountered when moving around would, however, be considered "fair game" if it could be overcome safely.

Excellent post!
This was the insight I was looking for, and I'm always blown away knowing you folks live amongst some of my favorite snake species.
I think your description of the scrub is what a lot of people say about retics.

We have some very interesting snakes that will actively forage and are quite diurnal. One of my favorites is the Eastern King in the colubrid family, it can go almost 1.5 meters. The Eastern Indigo is another one that hunts its prey.

When I mention forage I am using the term loosely. The king snakes are usually on the move somewhat and will eat anything they come across. They still are ambush predators, but they are not like a boa constrictor that can sit motionless for weeks. They don't really count because they are not members of the boa or python groups.

There is some published study about a boa constrictor that stayed in the same spot without moving for over a month waiting for prey. I find that to be quite fascinating, but I'm glad my boa moves around in it's cage and climbs a bit.

The variety of big pythons you have down there is amazing to me.

I think I'll search around for videos of the mentioned snakes and see what I find.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Big colubrids and most elapids leave any python for dead regarding movement, activity and inquisitiveness

mangrove snakes, oriental rat snakes, radiated rat snakes. red tailed racers, cobras. taipans etc etc etc
will move about and seem to enjoy just watching every move you make
because of their faster metabolism they hunt more often too

wild retics are more active than wild burmese
but neither is as active as scrubbies

The best account of foraging I've witnessed, was a common tree snake (a colubrid) turning over leaves with it's head while searching for skinks beside a trail in the burleigh heads national park. I watched it for a while until it noticed me and took off into some shrubs. I've seen my cts probing his head around and under the stones in its enclosure.

Cheers.

We have quite a few elapids here which often hunt by sight - the Brown Snakes, Tree Snakes (as Dr-Zoidberg says) and Whipsnakes are especially good at this - they are diurnal and have large eyes and obviously good eyesight. I had the good fortune to watch a Yellow-faced Whipsnake disturb and chase a skink in the garden a couple of summers ago - the snake moved like quicksilver across the ground, without cover the unfortunate skink had no chance. When I was a teenager in Perth and used to do very silly (& risky) things with Dugites and Gwardars, watching them catch sight of a live mouse and hunt it down was amazing. (When you're young and silly, you think you'll live forever... :)!)

Jamie

Just before someone jumps on me... the Treesnakes aren't elapids :)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I agree the colubrids and elapids are typically quite active. The king snakes eat almost nonstop and I'm guessing their continual movements, rather than ambush tactics keep their metabolisms high and the need for food is more constant.

Among the pythons and boas, it seems the reticulated pythons, the scrubs, the water pythons and olives have a bit more activity than the typical Indian rock and Burmese pythons.

I still need to focus on my boa. If fed well, he is quite stationary, but this is due to captive conditions and plentiful food. If I pull back on the food and mimic a more "Mother Nature" type feed cycle he begins to hunt.

I actually do this with my snakes from time to time. I'll feed larger and more often for a few months, then I'll drop prey size and frequency and eventually let them completely clean out.

My coastal is still relatively new here and young so I'm feeding her a bit more often.

After typing the original question, I can see there are huge differences between wild and captive observations that need to be addressed.

As a keeper, I want to have the most entertaining type of boa or python as I prefer the size and handling ease of them.

So far I can honestly say the semi arboreal activity of the coastal makes for a great display animal here.

If you want an interactive python, that is fairly active day or night, hard to go past a woma. Only time mine isn't moving around trying to see what your up to is after being fed, shedding, or cooling in winter. Has a real personality, and watches everything you do in front of his enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back