Most expensive?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Python

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What has been your most expensive reptile purchase?

Mine is only $200 at the moment as I'm still pretty early in this hobby (only 2 years), and I'm expecting to be buying some more reptiles over the next couple years :)

My recent bluey costs $200, though I could’ve looked elsewhere where they could be a lot cheaper and not full of mites but it doesn’t matter, he’s got a lot of character.

Reptile prices these days are cheap as chips.
Years ago we were paying 2k for BHP's 3k for womas and 5k for albino darwins, gtp's 5k. I remember forking out 30K for 6 albs and 20K for gtp's .
fortunately prices have come down as these species have become more common. As it does with all reptiles, Leatherback beardies were $500, dropped to $100 within 2 years. Melanistic blue tongues dropped from $900 to $200 within 2 years as people bred more of them. I don't breed central beardies any more as they cost more to produce than you can sell them for ; not that I ever bred for profit. It's more about fun and seeing the smile on kids faces.

Last edited:
Dragonlover1 I love kimberley frillys! Got any pics? I'm getting into monitors and Dragons and I'm hoping to get my hands on some frillys in 2023

fortunately prices have come down as these species have become more common. As it does with all reptiles, Leatherback beardies were $500, dropped to $100 within 2 years. Melanistic blue tongues dropped from $900 to $200 within 2 years as people bred more of them. I don't breed central beardies any more as they cost more to produce than you can sell them for ; not that I ever bred for profit. It's more about fun and seeing the smile on kids faces.
You think hypermelanistics sell for $200? Ill take 20 for that price and make a huge profit. They have been around 15+ years and the price has been very stable throughout that time. Same with the albinos and whites (been around for 20 years and still go for $1000+).

You think hypermelanistics sell for $200? Ill take 20 for that price and make a huge profit. They have been around 15+ years and the price has been very stable throughout that time. Same with the albinos and whites (been around for 20 years and still go for $1000+).
Check out the Sydney expo's, I'm there every year and I see the prices drop. Sure there are some magnificent animals that draw big dollars but on average the price has come down heaps for some critters.

Dragonlover1 I love kimberley frillys! Got any pics? I'm getting into monitors and Dragons and I'm hoping to get my hands on some frillys in 2023
it's hard to get decent pics of these guys as they are so flighty, but here's a couple of shots to give you an idea of their colour20211211_122104.jpg20211211_155543.jpg20211211_155459.jpg

and this what they looked like from behind when I got them 20210827_204403.jpglovely back patterns, very different from my NT frillies

Don't know if it counts but in Denmark I paid 4000 aussie dollars for 1 baby shingleback, alpine blotched and my western bluetongues😳. I sell northern babies for 550 aussie dollars and eastern babies for 750 aussie dollars. If I want to buy a all black or albino bluetongue I would pay close to 10000 aussie dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_113552_652.jpg
    IMG_20211114_113552_652.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 8
Awesome! Makes me want some even more!
they are gorgeous critters

Most australian bluetongues are only northern and eastern are fairly common but you can Indonesian adult bluetongues for 50 aussie dollars
Wow that is crazy, in Australia the eastern is worth about $25-40, but the Northern can cost about $100, (we got ours for less) and a western is about $200. The crazy thing is our Govt. says Northern and Western are harder to maintain so a higher license class is required. We have eastern, northern, western BTS and a cunningham skink in exactly the same conditions and the same food. So what does Govt. know ? SFA

Latest posts

Back