Most realistic rock you have ever seen....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

I've noticed a lot of DIY fake rocks being posted lately. One of the worst looking fake rocks you can have, is one that is all the same colour. Rocks are rarely if ever mono-tone. Having a single colour rock background looks awful. However the good news is, that with some acrylic paints you can rectify the problem and make your backgrounds 1000 times better. Pay attention to the details of the colour where water has and would run. To where fresh breaks would make the colour brighter etc... Here are some examples of how rocks should look.

Thanks snowman :) my google search history is full of rock formations and colours. That's great info to share :)

Having a single colour rock background looks awful.

?
61EF0C33-C429-45BC-A916-FDC070345A77-7060-000005F70DEB173F.jpg

While I agree with what you are saying regarding putting effort into the look of the backgrounds, having worked quiet a bit with render, and spending over $100 on paint for it to be drained out by the glossy sealer, it just wasn't practical or worth the extra effort for the minimal results. Any background is going to look better then plain walls, whether it's one colour or multiple.

?

While I agree with what you are saying regarding putting effort into the look of the backgrounds, having worked quiet a bit with render, and spending over $100 on paint for it to be drained out by the glossy sealer, it just wasn't practical or worth the extra effort for the minimal results. Any background is going to look better then plain walls, whether it's one colour or multiple.
I think that if the rock wall is too impressive that it becomes the feature and the snake is part of the scenery but some do look too unrealistic and also stand out. Love your wall by the way, I think you got the right mix.

Do I need to buy special paints? I thought I can just paint normal acrylic paints over the render.

Do I need to buy special paints? I thought I can just mix normal acrylic paints with the render.

I wouldn't bother mixing it with the render. Instead finish rendering and then paint over it. I use cheap non-toxic water based acrylics. As long as it says non toxic you should be fine.

Haha yeah I edited my post before I saw you quoted it. That's good to know :)

I use the render paints which are very expensive and you have to guess how much render will cover the whole thing otherwise when you go to make more you never get the right mix and end up with a wall where one side is out of colour to the other. Plus mixing with render dries lighter so you never get a good feel of how it will look until after it's done and dry. The only reason I haven't tried anything else is I've stuck with what I know.

These are actually real rock formations from the north west.

?

Just looks home made to me. But each to their own. As long as your happy with the results. Everyone is at different levels of ability and aiming for perfection is not everyone's cup of tea.
Ive been around long enough to cringe when I see something that is mono tone in colour. May as well make it from lego! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A Lego background would be awesome! Would my snake hurt himself on the corners/edges?

:D hehe created a monster. Im considering ripping foam out and replacing it with the tonne of Lego my parents still have from when I was little :)

Just looks home made to me. But each to their own. As long as your happy with the results. Everyone is at different levels of ability and aiming for perfection is not everyone's cup of tea.
Ive been around long enough to cringe when I see something that is mono tone in colour. May as well make it from lego! ;)

Yes it does look home made but so do alot of store brought backgrounds, exo terra for example are made very shoddy (can see the foam through paint).

3uzusa3e.jpg

Mine doesnt look like a Universal Rocks background but with it costing me under $20 im happy with how it came up.

Rick

These are actually real rock formations from the north west.
Where did you get these pictures from, I have just seen two of them pop up on a facebook site run by Micheal Cermak called working with nature?

Edit: Make that all four of them.

Just trying to inspire people to do more realistic rock art. (Had a pm or two about it helping).
Here are some more rock formations for those who are enjoying the inspiration.

Where did you get these pictures from, I have just seen two of them pop up on a facebook site run by Micheal Cermak called working with nature?

Edit: Make that all four of them.

Yes I said he could post my pics.

And some more... As you can see none of these rocks are a single colour. Stimi's BHP's, olives etc are all found around these area's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back