Mounting Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ouroboros

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have got some new vivs for my guys (BDs) coming this week and I want to fit them out with Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T5 High Output tubes.

I have done some Googling and can't see much in the way of DIY pre-wired batten fixtures that have a high enough wattage capacity and appropriate length. The tubes come in a few different size/watt combos:

cellpadding="2" style="width: 100%"
|-
| align="left" valign="top" | Item Number: OS5-24 (24w/22")
|-
| align="left" valign="top" | Item Number: OS5-39 (39w/34")
|-
| align="left" valign="top" | Item Number: OS5-54 (54w/46")
|-

Before I go find a store that sells them I want to make sure I can actually find the batten fixture. Aquarium stores seem to have the biggest range but they are in hoods. I just want brackets that I can mount to the ceiling of each 4 ft (by 2 ft) tank without needing to get an electrician to do it.

Anyone got them in there set up and/or know where to get them?

Amazing Amazon, I'll keep this option in mind thank you. ExoTerra do one similar but it was T8.

Okay so I found out Bunnings can order in the NEC Blacklights (assuming they are the ones that people have talked about). They are under Nelson Specialty Lighting insect control. You can see the specs here Nelson Specialty Lighting | voltimum.com.au or just Google Nelson Specialty Lighting.

I'm thinking I might get both the NEC and the Zoo Med.

Aggie Aquariums have Hitashi blacklights (which are T8 ) in 2ft 3ft and 4ft. The 3ft is $30 so they are a bit more expensive but you don't have to wait for them to be ordered in.

Last edited:
Be wary about purchasing blacklights. Not all have UVB output. Most only produce UVA which won't be any better than a regular tube. NEC have the true UVB blacklights but also have UVA ones so you'll need the correct part number. They also no longer produce a 3' size.

I would recommend sticking with the Reptisun HO's. I use them on all my turtle tanks now and they are awesome. 12 month lifespan saves you money too.

Does anyone know any shops in Adelaide that stock Zoomed Reptisun? I have been to the ones in my area and they only have the Reptile One. I have gotten those for now. I'd like to get the HO ones though.

I have decided to put in the black lights as well as the Reptisun.

Does anyone know any shops in Adelaide that stock Zoomed Reptisun? I have been to the ones in my area and they only have the Reptile One. I have gotten those for now. I'd like to get the HO ones though.

Haven't found any in Adelaide that stock HO tubes, may need to order from interstate in bulk.

If you that concerned about UVB why not use a MVB or allow you dragon some natural sunlight?

Rick

We can post. Add to cart for a shipping price

The tanks are 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot so they are too small for Mercury Vapor Bulbs. One day when I have a bigger house I would love to give them really big tanks that can accommodate MVBs.

I do take them outside when I can but I guess I'd rather not have to rely on it.

I run 100w MVBs in all my 4x2x2s with out a drama, as long as you ventilation is set up correctly. It all depends on how hot the MVBs are, I get the cool ones from abdf. I also run 125w MVBs in a glass 4x2x2 with a mesh lid so they are not to hot for an enclosure of that size, not at all.

I'm running the Reptisun 5% T5HO. It is very hard to find a slimline T5HO fitting to use, as they are still fairly new and not commonly used.
Unfortunately my way of doing it required an electrician, and meant stripping the control box out of a HighOutput light fitting, and wiring 2 x T5 tombstones (where the tube slots into) into it, and screwing it all to the roof of the enclosure.

Most people are still sticking with T8 HO's for the sole reason that the fittings are easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back