Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrblack66

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Some would say I'm pedantic. I say I'm fastidious... What gets my goat is that so many people, including users of this fantastic site, are still, to this day referring to Mulga Snakes as "King Browns"...
I thought the general concensus about ten years ago was to remove the name King Brown from use as it is not a Brown (Pseudonaja), it is the biggest member of the black snake family (Pseudechis). This is probably sounding like an old broken record, but it is something that really gives me the irrits.
So, please people, join with me and lets get this name thing sorted for the benefit of the general public, like we did 50 years ago for the Green Tree Snakes abolishing the use of the name Yellow Bellied Black Snake....
Got any ideas for an advertising campaign that can set Australia right?

Last edited:
Common names are there to confuse us, save the confusion if it worries you, and just use the scientific names.
thats not confusing at all...:rolleyes:
Anyway
Some ppl say tomato some say tomuto.
thats what mkes the something go something.
Pedantic is a good word to

Same as the inland taipan still gets called a fierce snake. So long as I know what they are referring to it doesn't matter to me.

Who cares about common names? By the way, Green Tree Snake is now (correctly) called "Common Tree Snake"

I'm not sure how much this would really affect the general public. I think instead of worrying whether people use "correct" names we should be aiming to stop them all being called "itsasnakekillit!" regardless of the species

kingbrown sounds sort of cool though compared to mulga snake lol

its the same with calling green pythons "chondros"

i would also like the term red bellied black snake returned to an earlier description of "the crimson sided snake" dont like my chances though lol

The name yellow bellied black snake gets thrown around as a description for a number of different species popularized by midnight oils song "king of the mountain"

Even taxonomic names are not agreed on where an animal is classified in what genus/species/subspecies

I call them King Browns because when I say Mulga I feel like I'm saying 'vulgar'.

I guess the description of "KING BROWN" just fascinates people and I highly doubt that the common name will ever be changed. In fact, i reckon Mulga snake has more chance of being removed and it just being King Brown.

IMO- I dont really care what people say, as long as i have dont my research and know what they are referring to, all people have different views upon common names, if you remove one name, many people are going to be happy, yet many people wont. Its a decision that I thnk will be long left idling.

aren't King browns poisonous enuf to make the top 10 deadliest list

aren't King browns poisonous enuf to make the top 10 deadliest list

hahaha...Love it.
But really mate, I don't see why it irritates you so much. It's very easy to overlook it whenever you see Australis referred to as a 'King Brown'. There are plenty more important issues in the world that deserve more time and effort than this one.

well there neurotoxicity is much weaker than some of the other large elapids,but the venom volume is MASSIVE and its full of all sorts of nasties that mess you up on so many levels,
Take a hit from a ig king brown and you will know about it LOL

Haha thanks for defending me Blake. Yeah PL there's a bit of history behind that joke. Let's just hope our American mate doesn't stumble across this thread

Haha no problem. Easy enough mistake to make if you're not an APS addict like some of us :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back