Murray Darling Carpet Python Size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterschamps

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I finally got myself a murray darling carpet, bought her from a local pet shop.. She is aprox 40 months old, measures in around 1.2m and weighs around 450grams..

My question being, is she undersize for her age? I have heard pet shops underfeed thier snakes to retain a smaller size.. Should i worry about being undersized?

Cheers.

That doesn't sound right. I have a 2 year old who is 2kg and just over 2 metres long. Did the shop give you any information as to why it was that size?

Pic quality isnt real good but that is her there. She is feeding normally, once a week on 2 mice currently, but starting on rats this weekend.

1024768.JPG

Last edited:
I have a MD that is around 2 years old (as advised - I did not have her as a hatchy). She is approx 150cm long and was 940 grams at her last 'weigh in' about 2-3 weeks ago.

I guess the main question is if yours is healthy as opposed to undersize. Being a bit smaller is not necessarily a bad thing as most captive bred snakes grow quicker than they would if in the wild due to being fed more regularly etc....Having a bit less to eat does not necessarily mean it has been starved or is undernourished IMHO.

Personally, as long as yours is healthy, put it on a good feeeding regime (not over the top....just a good regular regime) and it should remain healthy and slowly put on condition. I don't believe in 'feeding it up' quickly unless it is underfed to the point where it's health is suffering in which case a vet assessment and guidance would be your best way forward.

Others may share a different view though.

EDIT: Your pic did not work when I first tried it but now I can see it - that snake defintely looks chunkier than my girl, and my girl weighs 940 grams. I would re-weigh with a view to ensuring the scales are accurate. That snake does not look to underfed to me although it is not a great photo. It is a lovely snake by the way....I love our MD - The most amazing temperament for a family snake.

Last edited:
I will re-check as i weighed her on some fairly accurate kitchen scales... But maybe they are out, i could be wrong. Will double check that at home

my MD is 14 months old and just under 3 feet I havent weighed him though, he is feeding on large fuzzy rats, yours should be on much larger food than adult mice one a week

In my opinion if a snake is small for its age but still looks healthy (not skinny) then that is fine and your snake looks fine to me.

I thought it being undersized would be the case.. I seen quite a few posts people who have 2 y.o murray darlings that weigh a kilo and are a foot longer so will just keep her on a regular diet and she will grow in no time!

Went into the shop again today and had a look at the matching male that they had there.. He is just on 1.2m and probably only weighs 400g... Again the bloke said that this snake is around 3 and 1/2 years old..

My MD is currently 15 months old (to the day), approx 120cm and weighed in today at 445g. So, in comparison, the shop may have underfed her a little. Then again, mine is a male NSW strain, so it could just be the rate at which different localities/sexes grow. I feed mine a weaner rat once a week, so I'd definitely up the food weight, and she should grow a heap in no time :)

Does locality make that much of a difference? Mine are from SA bloodlines as far as I know.
Male is around 3 foot and 220g. Female is around 5-6 foot and 1.5kg. Both around 16 months old. Same clutch.
Shows you how different the sizes can be. Male has been a very picky bugger about his food though.
Only just starting to get him back on track again after weeks-months of non-feeding 'episodes'. I guess you'd call it.
Note. Husbandray hasn't changed. Went from Mice/Rats to Quail/Chicken. Took his 4th Chick last night.
I try to feed mine at least 20% of their body weight each time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back