Murray Darling Casually Biting Me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mafu13

Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster here. I've had my Murray Darling Carpet Python, Matilda, for 19 years. Something I've noticed that started happening (twice now, once in August last year and again this week) is that when she's hanging out and crawling around my arms, she will just be laying there then decide to casually sink her fangs into my arm. It's not snapping or striking, and doesn't seem aggressive, just wondering why she would be doing this. Some things of note, both times she's in a stage of not eating (because of the cold) so it could have something to do with that? She hasn't bitten me in over 15 years, so I just think this is strange. Is she getting old? Or just reacting oddly during her brumation period? Thanks for any responses.

Hi,
New here myself and dont have your snake but Carpets being a bit bitey in general seems to be a bit of a theme; jungles having the worst reputation overall

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...msung-gj-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
I had an interesting time reading about it at the link above, a lot of the entries are old. But temps and food seem to be the thing.

Yours doesnt sound very aggressive so maybe it just wants something warm to nibble on now and then! Will it take a feed?
[automerge]1625561747[/automerge]
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/5yr-carpet-snake-turned-aggressive.221739/

Hi,
New here myself and dont have your snake but Carpets being a bit bitey in general seems to be a bit of a theme; jungles having the worst reputation overall

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...msung-gj-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
I had an interesting time reading about it at the link above, a lot of the entries are old. But temps and food seem to be the thing.

Yours doesnt sound very aggressive so maybe it just wants something warm to nibble on now and then! Will it take a feed?
[automerge]1625561747[/automerge]
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/5yr-carpet-snake-turned-aggressive.221739/
Thanks for your reply! I'll do some scouring through that link, thanks for that.
I tried to feed her the day before she bit me and she wouldn't take it, she tends not to eat during winter. I might try warm her tank up a bit more, otherwise just pull her out again and see if she still wants a nibble on my arm.

Thanks for your reply! I'll do some scouring through that link, thanks for that.
I tried to feed her the day before she bit me and she wouldn't take it, she tends not to eat during winter. I might try warm her tank up a bit more, otherwise just pull her out again and see if she still wants a nibble on my arm.
The fact that she's not really sinking the fangs in, or coiling, constricting, or striking, seems to me to be fairly harmless but I do understand you want an explanation!

Again I must reiterate I don't have your species OR the same problem, my A. Childreni was nippy at the start but it was being underfed and overhandled by the previous owner so that explained that.

There was another thread, which I haven't located since; and I think it was an Albino Carpet (not sure exact Subspecies) that was like yours, mature, and would go out of it's way to seek the owner out and latch on to his ankle, and not let go (the owner was in the habit of letting it roam the house). If you find it, I think it may bear some similarities. Its in the old threads somewhere, I hope you can track it down!

I have a Murray Darling male and he eats year round and one of the most gentle Carpet Pythons you could find. How often are you feeding her? What temps do you use? what sort of enclosure is she in? and lastly how often do you handle her?

19yo is pretty reasonable for a Snake, they can live a long life. If you are worried, I would take her to a Reptile Vet and have her checked. They don't usually bite like you mentioned, they will strike if they think your food or scarred. She could possibley have a mouth infection where biting sooths her mouth, these things can be cleared up with a course of Antibiotics.

Noel

I have a Murray Darling male and he eats year round and one of the most gentle Carpet Pythons you could find. How often are you feeding her? What temps do you use? what sort of enclosure is she in? and lastly how often do you handle her?

19yo is pretty reasonable for a Snake, they can live a long life. If you are worried, I would take her to a Reptile Vet and have her checked. They don't usually bite like you mentioned, they will strike if they think your food or scarred. She could possibley have a mouth infection where biting sooths her mouth, these things can be cleared up with a course of Antibiotics.

Noel
Thanks mate. She eats medium sized rats, once a week. She's in a long tank, I believe it's 180cm long, large enough for her with some rocks, big stick, cave rock to sleep under. Located in a garage so she gets some sunlight from the window during the day. I only use a heat mat underneath a rock, usually near max temp (not sure what it is). And I handle her probably once even 3 weeks this past year (with the whole biting thing). If you have any advice or recommendations, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back