my 1st atempt at building a croc enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAS101

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
over xmas time it was decided that the croc would need a new enclosure , as the 6ft glass tank just wasn't big enough anymore and it was to hard to get him out from it .
so after some measuring and a couple of quick drawings I had a plan , I gave the pond drawing to my mate and within 2 weeks I had a all metal pond . the pond is constructed out of 25mmx25mm box tubing [ gal dipped] and 1.6mm gal dipped sheeting .
DSCF0828.JPG
the pond is 1.5 meters x 1.2 meters x 45 cm deep.

so with the basic part of the pond done it was time to build the rest , making sure it could come apart so I could fit it through my front door as the pond was going in my lounge room .
so still using the 25mmx25mm box steel I made the top section of framing with provisions to being bolted together in sections .
20131225_072332_1.jpg
the total length of the enclosure is 2.4 meters long x 1.2 meters wide x 1 meter high.
next it was time to start to fill it in with the panels , I decided to use 6mm mdf for the sides and roof and 9mm mdf for the front panels .
raw.jpgraw 2.jpg
I decided to use 3mm clear Polycarbonate Sheeting for the front door windows as its pretty well indestructible [ I tested a scrap piece with a sledgehammer and all I could do is dent it]
so after everything was marked and cut out it was painting time , I used a decent wood sealer and primer paint , but now I was left with bright white panels [ it was so bright I blinded myself in the sunlight from the reflection ] . so I went with camo style stripes , just using 3 colors to break up all the white .

panels.jpg

while I was painting the panels I also was finishing off the pond , I sealed the pond using aquarium silicone on the sides and the bottom metal panels . after a week of drying I used crommelins black pond sealer and crommelins reinforcing fabric on the corners and bottom sections covering everywhere I had siliconed . I then applied 3 coats of the pond sealer , on the final coat I threw in small stones on the bottom of the pond to help with protection of the bottom and to break up all the black look . once it was all dried [ left it out in the hot sun for a week and a bit ] it was time to bring it all inside .
build.jpg

I used earth wool insulation for the pond to help aid with retaining the heat in the water .
now it was time to see if the frame and pond still fit together and to my surprise it did lol .
build 2.jpg
back wall and side panels on and its starting to look good .next it was time to fit the filter piping and the led strips on the roof panels , I used 4 rows of white and 4 rows of red for night viewing . next it was time to fit and install the land heating electrics with the 4 - 75 watt ceramic heat emitters , temp and thermostat probes . so with the above all fitted it was time to install the front panels and doors .
front.jpg
after this it was time to fill the pond with water and to watch for leaks , after 650 litres of water it was finally full , once the water was up to temperature it was time to add the croc [ the fun part ] everything went without a hitch and his now enjoying his new enclosure .
pond.jpgcroc relaxing.jpg
I have had him out a couple of times since going in his new enclosure and its a lot easier to get him out of this compared to hit old glass tank .

even my mum had a hold of him on one of his outings lol .

Hate to ask...but how "soon" before he outgrows this enclosure?

Very impressive, thanks for sharing.

Hate to ask...but how "soon" before he outgrows this enclosure?

a year or 2 then he go`s into his very own shed . all up it was just over $1200 to build his current enclosure that's with lights and everything else . its not bad considering his old 6ftx2ft x2ft glass tank and cabinet was $1150 and that was just the tank and cabinet .
once his out grown this enclosure I will find something to go into it lol . his old tank has bill my murry cod in it now .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back