My Big Snake Enclosure: PDF With a Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm getting my father-in-law - a wood worker - to build me a new snake enclosure for my four-foot carpet. I've drawn up the specs (not including the lightbox on top) and have added a link below to the pdf. He likes to design on-the-fly, so I don't know if he loves or hates my to-the-millimeter specs). Anyone who wishes to make use of the design or concepts within it are welcome to do so. However, I have a question: The entire frame, including the floor, will be made of pine. Can anyone suggest ways of waterproofing the floor against general spills, etc?

As a point of interest, this is what I've got in the design (Note that I would have loved a greater depth than 600mm but space limits me):

The main viewing area is roughly 1550mm H x 900mm W.
The frame is designed so the sides are as narrow as possible (40mm) to maximise viewing.
The roof is about 120mm below the top so that electricals (thermostat, tops of lights, heater, etc)are hidden from view.
The draw has a hole in the back to allow some electricals, if necessary, to be stored in there. Other bits can also be stored there.
Access will be via a door on either side that opens out fully and incorporates a 40mm high threshold. No doorstops minimise woodwork - escaping light will be blocked by self-adhesive draft stoppers.
The lights will be two low-wattage power-saver lights mounted in a pine box. These won't hang into the enclosure - they will be out of line-of-sight. Being easily, cheaply replaced lights, I can alter output via the variety that are available on the market.

Any help on the water-proofing question would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking in terms of shower recess sealant provided I let it out-gas enough.

Here's the link: http://www.worldofprinting.com/snake_enclosure.pdf

Mark.

Pine is light, so maybe blueboard the bottom and 50mm up the sides. Seal it all, then lay thin slate and grout. How do you plan on heating?

Thanks for your reply. Heating plans are still in progress - I've only had experience heating a small enclosure. However, the enclosure is in a home where a/c runs all winter/summer. The enclosure is also timber and 6mm glass which, I hope, will help retain some heat. Vents have been placed low so rising heat doesn't escape immediately. The circular hole in the top is for a 100w ceramic heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back