My diamond is acting really strange and has a red belly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamartra

Reaction score
Hi, last night i was watching tv and heard a banging coming from my diamond pythons tank. I sat up and had a look and i kinda freaked out a bit. He had dislocated his jaw and was coiling but not like he was going to strike more like he was trying to throw up or something. His tummy went bright red and he kept head butting the ground and the wall of his tank. This lasted for a few minutes and then he went back to normal. I put my hand in to see if he would let me have a closer look at his belly and he let me touch him but shied away from letting me do anything more then rest my hand there. Ive had him for two years now and i have never seen this ever. He was fed 6 days ago and he's only just shed which google told me were the two reasons why they did this and went red so I'm very worried he may have an infection or some kind of digestion problems. He seems completely normal this morning too. Sorry i didn't manage to get any photos while it was happening :/ id really appreciate some help on this one please.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry rereading this it didn't make sense. I said like he wasnt going to strike but was head butting the tank: the head butting was more like he was just falling into the glass not actually purposely doing it like he had very limited muscle control. Just to clarify

Last edited:
Was there anything in the enclosure he could have eaten? My diamond gets a pink belly when eating and if the jaw was dislodged this is another thing that can happen when eating. If the jaw was dislodged it might have been trying to push it back into place on the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your snake is in extreme pain or irritation and having major internal problems. It needs to see an experienced vet immediately

I've had a python do this, and then die immediately after. I'd follow peters advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back