Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleonz

Reaction score
As per the title I need some help making quite a big decision.
This will be my first reptile, and I have learnt this requires a whole other level of skill in terms of care.

I have my heart set on a Bearded Dragon, Eastern or Pygmy however the enclosure it requires is quite large and I don't think at this time I have the space to accomodate it.

However Geckos require smaller enclosures, but I have been told they don't like to be held. Is there any Australian species that likes to be held, and that its enclosure is quite small? What has been your experience?

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

Pygmy Beardies don't need huge enclosures, they're pretty slow growing too. I had my CBD in a small enclosure for the first year and then upgraded him. If you really want a Bearded Dragon, I say go for it. They're wonderful creatures.

Geckos are tricky, you put them on your hand and they run up your sleeve, well, that always happens to me, I get nervous if I ever hold geckos because they're so skittish and fragile. Maybe look for a larger gecko, something a bit more hardy, they could probably handle being handled.

Mountain dragons are on the smaller side if you are more toward the south. Otherwise you could look at some of the smaller skinks. Geckos are known to drop their tails from time to time but they are still a satisfying herp to have....from what I have been told.

GET A SNAKE!!!!!!!!

Have a think about some f the smaller species of snake. Their enclosures are largish.....but not too large and they are very easy maintenance.

Regards

Elizabeth

Thanks everyone :)
I would love to have a snake, but unfortunatley my man has a phobia :( So it's a dream lost I am afraid.

Pygmy dragons can be kept in a 90cm tank right and this is suitable for an adult? I know they will have heat lamps etc, but in these colder months the only option I have is to have it on the floor in my room with that size, i don't want it to get cold.

ever heard the phrase "better ask forgiveness then permission" iv kept reptiles for a fair few years now and non of my girlfriends over that period of time were keen on reptiles especially snakes

all of them had a change of heart and my fiance loves them so much now she got her own licence and went nuts buying snakes

"better ask forgiveness then permission" LOVE IT! haha But I think one day i'll go to feed it and it will have "disappeared".

realisticly you could get a spotted, stimsons or childrens python they stay very small are normally vary docile and you can keep in in a small space that is easily heated and it only feeds once every 7 days when young then once every 10 when adult PLUS when adult it may have 3 months of the year where you dont even need to feed it

alot of people keep them in small display enclosures or just simply long shallow tubs on heatcord

Ahhh I have to get snakes off the brain.

In all honesty my heart is set on a beardie. So I think my best bet is a pygmy :)
Will it be ok for the tank to stay on the ground in my room? It does get quite cold in my room though, but will adequate heating in the tank will that be ok?

if by pygmy you mean pogona minor which is the smallest species of bearded dragon from south-west WA then yes where they come from it gets COLD! but obviously provide the right heating 35-40 basking spot with a cool end and some uva uvb theres afew options for the uva/b

No I mean pagona henrylawsoni (black soil)... will this still be ok? I want to provide the perfect environment

heres an idea if he is scared of snakes and you think he will make a little one go missing, get the biggest thickest b@stardo you can find and then he will be to scared to go near its cage ;) win win situation you get a snake and he is to scared to do anything about it.....

Bought some fantastic hot coloured beardies off brettix around xmax...try him. beadies make great fisrt reptiles,very amusing little buggers to watch at times, head shakes,arm waving,etc..Cant go wrong..

Thanks RushiesReptiles, I contacted Brett but unfortunatley he doesn't breed pygmy beardies. He has gorgeous beardies though!!!

Would an enclosure with these dimensions (W=800, H=480, D=445) be ok for a pygmy or 2? or even a central beardie?

not big enough for an adult central beardie and maybe JUST big enough for pygmy's. bigger the better though. this is the min size for a pygmy i guess. 90cm is best

Thanks fabregasreptiles. You know what I reckon... I should just get a bigger tank 120cm, and put it on the floor in my room... I can put a mat underneath to stop the tank getting too cold.
In all honesty I have my heart set on a larger dragon, the first dragon I saw in real life made me want one so bad and it was an Eastern... even though I think pygmy's are so cute.
Centrals are gorgeous too for their colouration. It's a big initial investment, but it will be worth it!

HERE IS WAT I THINK IS BEST:

get a nice coloured CENTRAL beardie or 2 and put them in a 120cm x 60 x 60cm cage. they can live in that forever and you have yourself 2 high coloured beardies which will be amazing pets.

you can get red ones, yellow ones, white ones, etc.

pm me and i can tell you a breeder who breeds very beatiful central beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back