My first tarantula - need help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yeah, if there's a glass panel halfway across the top you can silicone a glass piece into there.. As long as there's a complete seal (i.e. no gap between top of divider and horizontal glass) that'd work!

hadn't thought of that, though if the tank is like mine - with a horizontal glass panel between the 2 openings on the top - then eliminating any gap between the horizontal and vertical should be easy

Aye, that's what i meant by my weird divider description, lol. Much better explanation than mine... However as I've said, one tarantula was hard enough to con out of mother. No more creepy crawlies for me ..until I move out. Muahaha!

I cant wait until my um lets me get a Tarantula or a Scorp.. They look so cool ill just have to look after my Huntsman's until then!

Hi,
A couple of things,
A bigger tank is not better it can actually cause your T to stress and they will sit curled up in a corner. In the wild the live in a burrow often no more than 30cm long (depending on the species) with a chamber at the end so they spend most of their lives in a confined space. I am a licenced collector and they settle far quicker after capture when kept in a small container such as a chinese takeaway one. I have had them eating within hours by keeping them confined however when kept in a larger tank they can take weeks to settle if at all.
As for dividing the tank I recommend it as the majority of my large breeding females are in subdivided tanks you can see a section of one of my four footers that is divided into six compartments here
http://www.tropicaltarantulas.com.au/index_files/Page967.htm
Many of them have been set up like this for a couple of years and produced very large egg sacs, while the T's in larger enclosures have been very unproductive.
The 30cm cube tank by aquaone is quite adequate for a large spider.
Even the spiderlings do better when in smaller tanks. I keep them in containers the size of a shot glass and have far less fatalities than when kept in the larger takeaway sized ones.
Any Glazier should be able to fit the dividers for you so they have a flush fit to the lid.
A T is literally blind and uses the hairs on it's body to sense it's surroundings so it prefers that confined area to be able to do this.
Cheers
Brendan

K well that's interesting, thanks for the info, I might shop around for a smaller enclosure then.

Got an email from Parks & Wildlife!!

I got an email from parks and wildlife!! It's ok, but to get it imported from interstate it has to be cleared with Biosecurity first or something. I was a bit confused about that so my mum's making the call for me :rolleyes: lol.

edit: Oh, and I don't think I'll have to shop around for a new tank - There's another one in our shed that's fairly tall and thin, I'll get some measurements and post them up cause I think it might be a bit TOO small, at least with the width.

Last edited:
I said I have no problems posting if you have permission from your national parks as I have herd you can and you cant .

so we will find out soon

cheers

Greg

I bought my spider from Bylo. Was packaged really well and everything is still going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back