My flippin bredli and his spotty appetite...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, one thing I failed to pre-emptively answer! I warm the rats by soaking them in hot water. I usually take them from the freezer and put them into a small tub of hot water from the tap. I let them sit there for about half hour or so and then once it's nearly ready for feeding, I dump the water and top it up with hot again just to raise the temp of the prey. Then 5-10m later I roll it around in some paper towel and then feed him and, as I said, he *always* takes it very eagerly - but then often drops it later on.

I don't make a real purpose of drying off the rat, though, and so it's still going to be somewhat damp when feeding. Is there any reason to think being wet would turn him off of it?

Couldn't hurt trying a dry feed. Sometimes silly things turn snakes off. I don't 'dry' my prey I simply defrost in a plastic zip lock resealable bag which gets floated in warm water an hour out from feeding. This is after thawing at room temp for a few hours. Due to the bag the prey is warmed but dry :)

20 degrees at night??? you ever been to alice springs??? was just talking to my uncle that is there its 32 during the day and about 10-12 over night, they can handle much lower temps than that over night, my bredli are at mid-high 30's in their basking spot and no heat over night at all, is abot 15 degrees in their room over night at the moment and they are still feeding strong

No, I live in Melbourne, cold enough here thanks. :D

that was actually a typo, it should have been 10 degrees :p, thanks for pointing it out. But you are probably right, I was told for my snake not to let it get below 10-15 at night if I wanted to keep feeding him through winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back