My lizards seem a bit upset

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianinoz

Reaction score
The neighbour has been on holiday and been doing a stack of house renovations involving lots of friends and relatives with jackhammers, lots very loud power tool sounds and banging. (repairing the structure of the house - apparently it passed council inspection despite being structurally unsound - a previous owner added an extension and neglected to support the roof properly and removed important structural interior walls, reflooring , jacking the peers , tiling the living , dining and kitchen , replacing windows and ripping out the old interior walls and old kitchen).
I've noticed my EWSs have been a bit nervous and bit out of sorts (upset) and I think all the strange loud sounds all day and into the night most days lately and all the strangers coming and going have scared them.

The big thunder storm the other night that hung about all night and dumped over 2" of rain also scared Lizzy, I could hear her crawling about after each really close and LOUD lightning flash, even startled me a couple of times, and I saw her peaking when I was up to unplug the computers and to watch the lightning display.

And to top it off the council was resurfacing my street yesterday (more loud and very strange noises to upset my already upset and nervous lizards) .

I thought maybe some of the cousins of the kids next door might have sootted her or Scrapper or the baby EWS and been chasing them, but I've noticed before that Lizzy doesn't like loud strange noises, so I guess it's the noise pollution that's the cause.

Guess I'm going have to be kind to her and give her a bit of space and let her destress. Poor thing.

It's quiet today and I hope that respite helps my resident EWS's relax and settle down. At least Lizzy's chilling right now (basking on the top of the lounge chair after her brekky ( a big roach (I caught and saved for her) and a couple of mealworms ).

Sensitive little critters, they don't like it loud and noisey..

Last edited:
I kept water skinks as a child, and also have a population of them in my backyard (which I always observe), so I know a wee bit about them. They are tough, adaptive lizards that quickly get over stressful situations and disturbances. I have seen many water skinks remaining active and basking on busy and loud construction sites that I have worked on. If any machinery does disturb them then they may move away to a neighbouring property, or stay hidden for a while, but usually they continue going about their daily business and put up with the disturbances.

Thunder storms aren't likely to affect them. As with all other lizard species I have kept, water skinks will sleep right through a thunder storm.

This time of year water skinks will remain active into the evening. Last week I saw water skinks active in my garage at around 8pm. Also at this time of year males are more dominant and fighting other males, and also looking for females. This is more likely the reason for your skinks change in behaviour.

I kept water skinks as a child, and also have a population of them in my backyard (which I always observe), so I know a wee bit about them. They are tough, adaptive lizards that quickly get over stressful situations and disturbances. I have seen many water skinks remaining active and basking on busy and loud construction sites that I have worked on. If any machinery does disturb them then they may move away to a neighbouring property, or stay hidden for a while, but usually they continue going about their daily business and put up with the disturbances.

Thunder storms aren't likely to affect them. As with all other lizard species I have kept, water skinks will sleep right through a thunder storm.

This time of year water skinks will remain active into the evening. Last week I saw water skinks active in my garage at around 8pm. Also at this time of year males are more dominant and fighting other males, and also looking for females. This is more likely the reason for your skinks change in behaviour.

Yes she has been somewhat moody lately (the last month or so) and there has been a big male hanging about.

She seems quite content right now and is chilling on the top of the lounge , changes positions every now and then and she's actually asleep there right now.

And I have seen Lizzy as late as 10pm , even hand fed her a cricket or a mealworm as late as 9pm on occasion when she's showed up made it clear she'd like a snack.

I think she'll be fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back