My next python will be an Antaresia but...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
For the last couple of months, I've been researching other pythons.
As I'd like another on the smallish side, I have narrowed down to these three:
Antaresia perthensis - the Pygmy
Antaresia stimsoni - a stimsons
Antaresia sp.- Pygmy stimsons, banded pygmy

For many years, I've heard some say that the children's group are fine as babies but can turn into narkie adults.
My nephew has an Antaresia childreni and she suffers from PMS lol.

I'd love to hear from breeders and owners to see what you have to say about these little guys.
I'm well aware that not all animals will be of the same in temperament so I'm wanting "in general" comments.

Also, something that I've wanted to know , are males different from females.

- - - Updated - - -

No replies?

I belong to a pair of spotteds, he's a little flighty at times but she is cuddly. A few days ago in central Qld I was at work pulling a bore pump up and saved 2 adult spotted pythons from being shreaded as we lifted the piping out with a crane. (and again from the shovel a few seconds later by a bloke who was scared of em). I relocated them to a pile of timber near where we were working, and they both just coiled up around my arms as though they'd been handled every day since hatching.. My Opinion, Childrens group seem to be absolute kittens to handle, both hand raised or wild..

I have three childrens pythons and they have all been great to handle from when they where hatchies until adult size. A little bit nervous for the first few weeks of handling but other than that they have been a dream to handle.

They are now three years old and don't show any signs of becoming 'narkie'. If anything the older they became the more placid they became.

I belong to a pair of spotteds, he's a little flighty at times but she is cuddly. A few days ago in central Qld I was at work pulling a bore pump up and saved 2 adult spotted pythons from being shreaded as we lifted the piping out with a crane. (and again from the shovel a few seconds later by a bloke who was scared of em). I relocated them to a pile of timber near where we were working, and they both just coiled up around my arms as though they'd been handled every day since hatching.. My Opinion, Childrens group seem to be absolute kittens to handle, both hand raised or wild..
Can u come and tell my male come breeding time ...

I have had my female stimie for nearly 2yrs now since she was 6mths and I think the only thing that i wished i had known earlier to save myself the worrying is how they can go off their food for months at a time which seems to be a bit of a trait of the breed going by all the stories on this site but they always seem to come around when they are ready :) its all us poor owners who stress about it not the pythons :)

My Pilbara stimmies are extremely calm. Never strike and are incubating eggs as we speak. The female is wild caught on license and the male is the most beautiful specimen I have seen of a pilb. They are all great snakes, but I would say the stimmies are the way to go if you are after a calm snake.

LOL!! Now you mention it, my male does seem a lttle spring loaded around breeding time. I've actually caught him twice now as he's basically leaping to freedom from being handled.

Apparently Fnq stimmis, pygmy bandeds, pygmy stimmis or whatever you wish to call them can suffer from small man syndrome. Justdragons on here has a pair maybe try PMing him for some info. I'm looking at getting one in the 2014/2015 season.

Pygmys are for more experienced keepers.

Jamie

Why would you say that? I thought they were fairly easy to look after once they are eating.

These are on my wishlist but personally I am going to wait until WA can export and get some locale specific ones.

I keep childrens, wheatbelt stimmies, macs and pygmy banded stimmies and my pygmy bandeds deffinately suffer from "little man syndrome" all the others never attempt to bite, but my pygmy bandeds think their parents were taipans, I only ever bred a few that didn't want to attack

I've always heard the other way round their the evil when young and angels when adults this has also been my experience with my three spotteds especially
my male he was the devil reincarnated when younger now he's my third most placid python out of the ten i have

My female stimmie was the spawn of satan as a yearling but a year later was and still is docile as and a pleasure to handle. She does go off her food though over winter regardless of temps as a lot of them do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back