My spotted heavily gravid, no incubator ???? HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pembroke

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm in urgent need for an incubator have just returned from a 2 month holiday and my snake is heavily gravid and I have nothing ready for when she lays and I'm freaking out.

They haven't bred the last 2 years so I wasn't expecting babies and have not bred before I just kept both my spotteds in my enclosure because I have had them since they we're juvies...

please help where can I buy one ASAP

i need to to be there for her please help and when will she lay !!

Thanks guys

Just cause they have been together since they were babies doesn't mean they wont mate. Seperate them next time.

As for now though you can find a nice small plastic tun with a lid and hole in the side and put that in her tank with her for a lay box.

You can convert an old bar fridge or wine cooler as well. Or you can buy an incubator.

Other than that, if you can't do any of those might just be better to let her incubate them herself. Remove the male, let her do her job for the mean time until you sort something else out. Not sure on how long they need to be incubated for but you have a decent amount of time to get an incubator sorted while she incubates them herself. I'm sure somone else will chime in here soon. But right now, she needs a lay box. So make a nice warm dark box for her to lay in :) Also just remove the male now she doesn't need him harassing her at this time xD

I have a document on converting a fridge or wine cooler of any size into an incubator by John McGrath. You should be able to get it up and running before she lays (it will take a day maybe two providing you have everything). If you want it PM me your email and I will email it to you. I will be following the same steps to setting up my incubator :)

cheers
CN

Diy incubators are the way to go. But the first question you should be asking yourself is are you ready to house and feed 10 (approx) hatchies that may take months to get feeding? Then even more months to sell?
Not all eggs that are laid need to be incubated.

The average person should be able to make an incubator out of a still going bar fridge or wine cooler/fridge in (3) minutes.Obviously if you want to use it again UNPLUG IT(the fridge) then just pass a 70-100 watt heat cord between the hinges, leaving a meter hanging out to the plug into your thermostat then wrap the heat cord around your lowest shelf a few times. Then pass a thermostat probe in the same way,(between the door hinges) zip tie it to the top shelf in a couple of places , close the fridge door (plug & play) a small fan is good but def. not necessary. l have been using a spare fridge like this for years and hatched out Womas, Greens & Macs....~B~

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=3145]solar 17[/MENTION] PC fans are needed in larger fridge incubators to circulate the heat and give good air flow. So it is necessary if someone uses a larger fridge as an incubator. Though I have read it can have an advantage if temperatures differ but only if you are incubating eggs that have different incubation temps to each other. Eg Dtella eggs (Gehyra sp) and BHP eggs (Aspidites melanocephalus).

Why not just let her maternally incubate them and let mother nature sort them out?

l have 2, two door coke fridges NO fans, all fans do is speed up or even out the temps a bit quicker NATURE sees to it hot air rises, cools and falls like l said desirable but not necessary and thats over a wide range of species over a considerable period of time HECK reptile eggs will incubate quite easily from 29.5-32c so its no big deal...

Spot on Baden, fans are not necessary, I use large fridges and have never used a fan.

Fancy thermostats are not necessary either, you can use a simple on/off style without any dramas...
My microclimate died on me last year and I couldn't be stuffed buying a new thermostat so I'm just back to using my old (15+ yr) trusty on/off stat this year.
I also recommend using the lowest possible wattage heat cord you can get away with, I use a 25 watt cord in a 350 litre fridge, if my stat fails it only heats up to around 33.5 deg so won't cook the eggs if a failure happens.....I used to run a higher wattage cord and if stat failure occurred it would reach 50 deg + which would = cooked eggs...

l have 2, two door coke fridges NO fans, all fans do is speed up or even out the temps a bit quicker NATURE sees to it hot air rises, cools and falls like l said desirable but not necessary and thats over a wide range of species over a considerable period of time HECK reptile eggs will incubate quite easily from 29.5-32c so its no big deal...

Me too.Have been using a 2 door coke fridge for over 10 years now and not a fan in sight.

Ok. As I have said not an expert still have a lot more learning to do :)

If you aknowledge that you are not an expert then why are you on a forum giving advice while attempting to correct some very experianced keepers?

I was passing on what I was told by a very experienced breeder and regular incubator builder. I was not correcting Solar 17, I did not say or imply that what he had said is wrong, if I appeared to do so than sorry was not my intention. I was simply sharing useful information that was given to me.

For what its worth. Fans are ok some ppl believe they are necessary and they do speed air temp eveness up a bit "BUT" hot air rises, cools and falls creating its own liitle turbulance but no-way are the necessary,personally l believe put your heat down the bottom of your incubator and let nature "do its thing", one other point l feel is worth mentioning is that a lot "not all" fan motors create their own heat which creates a situation called "over-run" on your thermostat in other words its heat the thermostat cant control, so your incubator gets hotter than "your" desired/selected temp. solar 17 ~B~

[MENTION=40876]Pembroke[/MENTION] let's say your python lays healthy eggs, you successfully incubate them and they hatch. Then what? The progeny wasn't exactly planned... Do you have the resources to feed, raise and support these young? Parenthood is a lot of responsibility; no one will think any less of you if you choose the other option :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back