My uneventful "herping trip"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tonight I took my torch and went on a "herping trip". The inverted commas are for the fact that really it was an excuse for a walk down a track at night. The track is a five minute walk from home and is used to service high-tension power lines, it runs down a (sometimes steep) valley and at the bottom is a dried up creek bed with trees and all sorts of scrub around it.

It can't really be called a herp trip for the reason that I'm a complete newbie at this all and really had no idea what I was looking for, let alone how to find it! :)

Needless to say, I saw nothing except my own footprints on the way back. It was a nice walk though, so not all was lost :) Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn,

Cheers,

Ozzy

You'll have alot more chance finding herps by driving slowly along quiet roads surrounded by bush on warm humid nights.

I went camping for a few days the other week at Berowra Waters north of Sydney with 2 non-herping mates and I saw nothing but a few skinks until my mate told me he saw 3 Lace Monitors in one trip on or near the 2km track to the shop. I went back with him and found 2 of them and got a couple pics on my phone (poor quality) but it just shows you really have to go at the right time and keep your ear out for them, they're not always very easy to spot.

I know how you feel dude.. since i got into herps i never saw a wild snake at all up till recently when i found a 4ft tiger snake..

And just the other night, i found an eastern small eyed snake... Which was the first snake i have ever caught..

Keep looking mate..

If you wanna find herps, you can go to work for me. I see heaps at work, mostly beardies, murray darlings, and some other venomous nasties. They're everywhere!! Your even get the added bonus of a couple of roos bounding straigh past you eveery once in a while.

Really, your welcome to go to work for me :D :D Come on you know you want too.

***DISCLAIMER*** The term "venomous nasties" was not intended to offend any owner, lovers or admirers of venomous snakes. I am simply not that fond of being bitten by a venomous snake while I am working out in the middle of the stick, miles from the closest hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back