N.Levis Levis Newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_vieira4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hai guys, PV4 here from Novocastria NSW!
I'm new to reptiles in general.
Am looking to get a N.Levis Levis Smooth Knob-Tailed gecko and there's a list of questions I have that either youtube, google or forums have brought up and I'm kinda interested to know.
Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry if it's the same old questions you read all the time but any time spent to answer my questions are greatly appreciated!

- Is desert sand a requirement? I watched a YouTube video where a guy used play sand from Bunnings - will that work ok too? Was planning on 1/2-1" of sand on the hot side and 3-4" sand on the cold side of the tank. Does that sound about right?
- My plan is to use crickets as food. I plan on feeding the crickets sliced-up carrots, some gutload-esque substance (feeding the crickets about half-hour to an hour before feeding gecko), and dusting them just prior to feeding. I pretty much plan on picking the cricket up and dropping him in the cage, and letting the levis chase him. What other methods are there for feeding him? From what I read, a levis basically wants to be fed 2 crickets every second day (the crickets being half-3/4 the size of the gecko head), is that right? Is that a good guide to be working off?
- Just say I know I'm going away for a certain period of time and I know I won't be back in time to feed the gecko.. If I recruit a friend to feed him for me, and that someone is scared crapless of crickets/bugs in gerenal and won't do it, what other food can I get that person to feed the gecko (hopefully something I can store in a pantry/fridge for a long time)? Basically a non-cricket non-mealworm meal? The only thing I can see that closely is an answer is baby food, just putting a bit on a little container and leaving the container in the tank. Would this do? Is there other foods I can use too?
- How often should I completely replace the sand out of the tank?
- If I were to use a fish tank for the enclosure (ie doesn't have any ventilation apart from the roof) would that be fine, or do I need to have a house with holes in the side?

Thanks heaps guys! Hope you guys know the answers to my questions! Looking forward to it!

Bunnings play sand is fine , its all i use now ...
Feeding crickets a slice of carrot and gut load is good , dusting every feed is not really needed , maybe every 3rd or so IMO .
I would certainly feed more than 2 per feed though , feed them 4-5 , if they take more no probs .
They will only really eat insects , crix , woodies ...
Replacing the sand is up to you , I do it a few times a year and spot clean as needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answers! Any knowledge on the tank? I have a fish tank at home, the mrs won't let me buy a new tank for the gecko. All the tanks at the reptile shop have ventilation about halfway up the enclosure on the side. I've seen big plastic containers used on youtube (loved the vids sydneyroosters) with holes in the side, etc. Are the vent holes in the side essential? Will my fish tank work?

- Is desert sand a requirement? I watched a YouTube video where a guy used play sand from Bunnings - will that work ok too? Was planning on 1/2-1" of sand on the hot side and 3-4" sand on the cold side of the tank. Does that sound about right?

Red desert sand is not a requirement. Keepers use red desert sand as these geckos love to burrow and desert sand holds a lot better than just washed play sand.

- My plan is to use crickets as food. I plan on feeding the crickets sliced-up carrots, some gutload-esque substance (feeding the crickets about half-hour to an hour before feeding gecko), and dusting them just prior to feeding. I pretty much plan on picking the cricket up and dropping him in the cage, and letting the levis chase him. What other methods are there for feeding him? From what I read, a levis basically wants to be fed 2 crickets every second day (the crickets being half-3/4 the size of the gecko head), is that right? Is that a good guide to be working off?

Crickets don't just eat carrots; carrots are used to provide moisture/water. There's a variety of things you can feed crickets such as oats, dry dog food, fish flakes etc. I just mix gut load in with their food instead of gut loading the crickets at feed time. As for methods of feeding, just toss the live crickets into the enclosure (at night) and the gecko will hunt them down which is actually pretty entertaining to watch. Feed them 4-5 crickets not 2, dusting every 3rd feed or so.

- Just say I know I'm going away for a certain period of time and I know I won't be back in time to feed the gecko.. If I recruit a friend to feed him for me, and that someone is scared crapless of crickets/bugs in gerenal and won't do it, what other food can I get that person to feed the gecko (hopefully something I can store in a pantry/fridge for a long time)? Basically a non-cricket non-mealworm meal? The only thing I can see that closely is an answer is baby food, just putting a bit on a little container and leaving the container in the tank. Would this do? Is there other foods I can use too?

Geckos are insectivorous (insect eaters), and can not be fed baby food...

- How often should I completely replace the sand out of the tank?

It is not overly important; as long as you clean the droppings etc. regularly, replace the sand every 3 months or so.

- If I were to use a fish tank for the enclosure (ie doesn't have any ventilation apart from the roof) would that be fine, or do I need to have a house with holes in the side?

You need to have ventilation. If the roof is open or has holes then that is fine.

Hi, I have my pair of levis in an enclosure with ventilation along the front, and the entire top is open. I used to keep them in fish tanks with no problem, as long as they have the correct heating. As for crickets, try also feeding them (the crickets) a hand full of dog biscuits or rat/mouse cubes. I personally prefer to feed my gex roaches, after I over came my phobia I have found they are a much better food source. Not only are they basic to keep and breed where crix are a bit temperamental (and expensive if you are not breeding), I found that the gex had some trouble catching them if i didn't break off legs.
I use Bunnings play sand and my hides are terracotta pot bases with a doorway cut in the side.
Mist enclosure regularly and keep the deep side moist.

Hey Pat :) Welcome & Good luck on choosing your new family members be sure to post some pics for us when you do ;)

Thanks for the answers. Just these little refinements to my knowledge alone make me feel heaps better and more ready to get one!
As another question - at what age (weeks, or months) do N.Levis Levis usually get sold? What's a good age to pick one up at? Is there an age that is considered too old to make the gecko become familiar with you and respond to your level of care?
I'm just imagining some expert-breeder/keeper/enthusiast selling off a gecko which is too used to be treated by an expert, then not respond to a noob trying to look after him. Is that ever a problem? They become too reliant on the luxury, expert care and don't respond to a noob looking after it?

Pat , levis will / can be sold at any age , I tend to sell hatchlings at around 2-3 weeks once they are eating well .
I am not sure they respond to keepers , they do respond to food though.
Levis are generally a look and don't touch kind of reptile any way , so as long as they get heat , food and a mist of water they will be fine.

Sweet, thanks for all your answers guys! My licence comes in a week or two, then I'll be looking into setups etc.
Is this the wrong time of year to be looking at buying Levis?

Sweet, thanks for all your answers guys! My licence comes in a week or two, then I'll be looking into setups etc.
Is this the wrong time of year to be looking at buying Levis?

Most breeders will only just be thinking of warming up their adults , so give it a month or two before you start seeing lots of hatchos for sale

Cheers guys. So keen to start my little family! If any of you guys out there have some nice hatchies coming through, keep me in mind!

As another question, I understand N.levis levis, N.levis occidentalis & N.levis pilbarensis are all subspecies. Is there any different care requirements for these three, or are they all taken care of the same? Is literally the only difference just how these guys look, or does each have their own care requirements?

Last edited:
They are all extremely similar so the care requirements to my knowledge are the same. These are currently classed as subspecies but it came up in the thread "Underwoodisaurus or Nephrurus" that these may actually be more valid as species, just because I thought you might be interested.

Some people might be selling 6 month animals now that they held back but which didn't turn out what they wanted.

Exciting times ahead Pat lots of people are getting into geckos for the ease of care and minimal costs to house,heat,feed a great animal to have and work with a project of your own if breeding is something you might try down the road.

I'd like to suugest another gecko for you to look at either now or later is the Spiny-Tail Gecko - Strophurus Ciliaris. This animal is viewable during the day sitting on or under a branch,....I don't breed these yet but they are becoming one of my fave'sView attachment 210530View attachment 210531View attachment 210532View attachment 210533View attachment 210534View attachment 210535View attachment 210536

Nice shots Brett, they are definitely a great gecko to keep/watch.
Have you been able to sex yours yet?

I've seen big plastic containers used on youtube (loved the vids sydneyroosters) with holes in the side, etc. Are the vent holes in the side essential? Will my fish tank work?

I was just about to send you a PM to see if you were talking about my video :D Thanks. I have just put some up of my new knobbies, and im going to make some more i a few hours.

I was just about to send you a PM to see if you were talking about my video :D Thanks. I have just put some up of my new knobbies, and im going to make some more i a few hours.

Sweet, I'll check it out! I subbed to your feed the other day - deadset loved the videos!
How are your guys going? Does the new male like you yet?

Smithers thanks for the idea! When (and I say when because I know it's going to happen) my gecko obsession stretches past 1 gecko, I'll def look into spiny-tails!

I got permission from the mrs last night, so will be looking at buying my setup this week! Then will wait a week or two for my licence to come through, then sit tight for a knob-tailed for sale! Keen as!

Yeah he is going well, i made a video and put it up last night. And ill make one of the pygmy beardies when i can be bothered :p

Yeah he is going well, i made a video and put it up last night. And ill make one of the pygmy beardies when i can be bothered :p

Kool Vid Ben ;) Each time I see the females markings I drool they are very nice n dark sharp edged and When your sick of her ;)

Kool Vid Ben ;) Each time I see the females markings I drool they are very nice n dark sharp edged and When your sick of her ;)

When or if ill let you know. In 6 months time if i find out she is a he, i might sell her//him but i would probably end up keeping it :D

Just one more question..
You guys are saying I should dust the crickets every 3rd feed, and that every time I feed the gecko I feed it 4-5 crickets. By every third feed, do you guys mean every third cricket or do you mean every third time I feed it the 4-5 crix I dust all of them?
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back